Chapter 4

"Well, class! This year we shall be studying the famous book, Romeo and Juliet!" Mrs. Ford announced enthusiastically. A bunch of groans filled the atmosphere.

"Oh come on, at least pretend to be excited." Mrs. Ford huffed.

"Wow, I'm so excited to read a book where two fourteen-year-olds fall in love and kill themselves in the end," Kai said, mustering up all the fake enthusiasm he could.

"Don't mess with me Smith, I've heard about you from your previous year's teachers, and I won't be putting up with your attitude." The blonde lady snapped. Kai raised his hands in defeat.

"But to start today's lesson, I'm assigning you all a paper to write about yourselves. Your interests, your passions, your family, and friends." Mrs. Ford said, handing out a blank sheet of lined paper to every student.

"I'll give you time in class, but I expect it to be done by the end of this week." Mrs. Ford said, sitting down on her pink, fluffy rolling chair. She placed in her reading classes and began reading a book.

The students hurried away with writing, none of them wanting homework. Some wrote about their dogs, their sports, their summers, how many vacations they went on, and all that fun stuff.

"Psst" Skylor looked up from her blank paper, to see a brown-haired boy trying to get her attention.

"Hello?" Kai pestered. "Answer me"

Skylor's grip tightened around her pencil.

"What?!' She whisper-yelled. Kai smirked in response.

"What are you writing about?" He asked, clearly acknowledging the blank paper in front of her. "Are you writing in invisible ink or something"

Skylor glared at him.

"Bad joke, I get it." He said smiling to himself.

"What do you want?" Skylor asked, giving up on doing her work.

"Your number," Kai asked slyly.

"No," Skylor snapped. Kai made puppy eyes.

"Please...."

"No."

"Pretty pleaseee!"

"If I say yes, will you stop bothering me?" SKylor questioned. Kai shrugged.

"I might. But it's worth a try." Skylor peeled a sticky note off the pile. Scribbling some numbers, she handed him the note. Kai examined it before crumpling it up.

"What was that for?" Skylor asked angrily.

"It's not your number." Kai shrugged. "Unless your number is the Chen's Noodle house delivery number."

"Why do you know the Noodle House number by heart?" Skylor questioned, confused. Kai folded his arms.

"My buddy, Cole, calls them a lot. So it kinda just stuck." Skylor nodded slowly. She was familiar with the name Cole since he was indeed a frequent customer at Chen's Noodle House.

"So are you gonna give me your real number, or am I going to bother you until you do? I Have all the time in the world." Kai replied, his chin sitting on his propped-up hands.

"Ugh." Skylor grabbed another sticky note. Only this time, she wrote her actual number down. Hesitantly, she handed it over to the brown-haired boy next to her.

"Thank you," Kai said, stuffing it in his front backpack pocket. "You will not regret this."

"I already am," Skylor said, sighing.

"So, what do you like doing during your free time?" Kai asked, spinning his pencil around his fingers.

"I thought you said you'd stop bothering me?" Skylor said, her arms folded over her chest.

"I said 'I might'. I decided not to." Kai said smugly.

"Well, that's just great,"