Chapter 26

Kai was never great at apologies. Sure, he mumbled a couple of sorrys and my bads every once in awhile, but the last time he did apologize was when he pushed Nya when she was about 4 into the small lake behind their home in ignacia. She nearly drowned and had pneumonia for two weeks.

But this person he was apologizing to wasn't Nya and he didn't push them into a lake. Maybe it was his inflated ego and high perception of himself that caused him to act this way. Sure he was arrogant and over confident and maybe he was just a little bit full of himself, but who isn't.

What happened wasn't even his fault. If he had known that his sister would be bringing a female stranger into their home he wouldn't be walking around exposing his upper half. And there it was: the blaming. Kai did that a lot. He was never really at fault. There was always someone else in the situation where he could blame. What makes thing worse is that he was an amazing liar, which he caled storytelling. He could spin tales so fast that made so much sense that all the blame nd fault would be lifted off of him. That's why he rarely got into trouble.

But now, for some reason, he couldn't find a tale to spew out, or anything to cover up what happened. Of course, he didn't do that on purpose, it was an accident. Maybe it was the fear of rejection or disgust that Skylor would give him when he attempted an apology, or maybe it was his ego that couldn't take any damage or it would explode in his face.

So now, he sat silently next to Skylor, avoiding any chances of eye contact as he made subtle glances at her. She didn't return them. She was too busy scribbling notes down in her notebook to even pay a thought to what Kai was thinking. Or at least that's what Kai thought.