Chapter 41

"Class." Mrs. Ford said over the students who seemed to ignore her and continue their conversations. "Class!"

Mrs. Ford slapped a stick down on the table to gain the students' attention. They all turned their attention over to her as she cleared her throat. "Today we will be doing a research paper on different famous writers. It's a partner assignment for which I'll assign groups."

The class groaned at the thought of Mrs. Ford's pairing techniques. She typically did boy and girl and managed to pair up a student with another student they absolutely despised.

"Okay, Brad and Sarah." Brad flopped his head against the desk in annoyance as Sarah audibly groaned. They were exes and had the most toxic relationship in Sophomore year. "No complaining hurry up!"

"Kai and Mia," Mrs. Ford looked around the classroom. Kai internally groaned since Mia was the girl he ghosted over the summer because she was too clingy during the weeks they dated. "Mia isn't here. You will work with Skylor."

Kai shot Skylor a playful glance while Skylor rolled her eyes with a small grin. "Will I regret pairing you two?" Kai shook his head before taking a seat next to Skylor.

"Well, you seem better," Skylor said unlocking her laptop.

"No thanks to that vodka I drank." Kai scoffed, searching up 'famous writers.'

"How was I supposed to know that you were allergic?" Skylor responded defensively.

"You weren't, I was so drunk I forgot I was allergic too." Kai shrugged, scrolling through the list. "And besides what kind of person drinks pineapple flavored Vodka?"

"Yeah, it tasted terrible, and the tang burned my throat?" Skylor watching Kai's screen as he scrolled down the list. "Wait stop."

Kai lifted an eyebrow before he stopped scrolling. "Dr. Seuss?"

"Yeah, he's pretty easy and I already know a lot about him." Skylor shrugged, pulling up a new Doc naming it 'Research Project: Dr. Seuss.'

"Well, that means less work for me," Kai shrugged, typing in a new tab. Skylor rolled her eyes before sharing the doc with Kai.

"Wait how many questions do we have to answer?" Kai said raising his hand. Mrs. Ford shot him a look.

"30 of them. Also, you aren't supposed to call out. Raise your hand and then wait to be called on." Mrs. Ford corrected, staring at Kai from above her glasses as she straightened a stack of white papers.

"30? How about 15?" Kai negotiated. Skylor nudged Kai as if saying 'what are you doing?' Kai smirked.

"This isn't negotiable 30," Mrs. Ford replied, growing irritated.

"How about twenty?" Kai asked, pushing it.

"Thirty and you all are presenting it to the class next week. Memorized," Mrs. Ford said through gritted teeth. "And it's worth 75 points."

"Oh, come on!"

"Seriously!"

The kids in the class complained loudly. Kai smiled sheepishly. "My bad y'all."

"You are the absolute worst." Skylor said, cradling her head in her hands.

"Yeah, I get that a lot." Kai shrugged, taking out his phone and hiding it behind his computer.

"What are you doing? This is worth 40% of our grade!" Skylor whispered yelled, trying not to get the teacher's attention.

"What does it look like I'm doing," Kai said as he proceeding in sending a few clap chats streaks to random girls in the school.

"We have a research paper to work on." Skylor said, pushing Kai's phone down. Kai rolled his eyes, putting his phone back in his pocket.

"No. You have a paper you need to work on. I'll make up some excuse to get out of it." Kai replied to leaning back on his chair.

"And if that excuse doesn't work?" Skylor questioned, raising an eyebrow at Kai's carelessness.

"Then, I'll fail this assignment." Kai shrugged. Skylor sighed, starting on her project. "Besides, it's only worth 30% of out grade. If I fail I'll get like a C tops as my final average."

"Well too bad for you. I'm not letting you fail." Skylor responded, pulling up the doc on Kai's computer.

"Woah an assertive woman." Kai flirted. "I like that."

Skylor whacked a notebook at Kai's face to hide her flustering. "Shut up and work."

"Yes Ma'am~"

"You are impossible."

"I know."