Chapter 69: MANUSCRIPT

 Alice pulled him off of the spike, after several minutes of screaming and a sudden change of heart, that he wanted Alice to kill him, he was finally off the spike, but he looked paler than pale, about as white as a ghost.

 Angel was nearly dead.

 “I’ve left medical supplies in the truck.” Redd said as he looked to Alice. “But we need to get him there first. King? Can you carry him?”

 Despite Alice’s broken arm, she nodded yes. “Here, take this.” She passed him her VoidGun and all the magazines, an act that was with some reluctance.

 Redd got a quick feel for the weapon then nodded. Alice lifted Angel up, who was still murmuring ‘No’ over and over, and began to carry him, at first putting his arm around her shoulder and walking along with him. But when she was just dragging him, Alice began to carry him, fireman style.

 They walked the kilometre or so back to the truck, passing by the silenced tank that looked like a popped blister. Alice grimaced as Angel bled into her back, reminding her a lot of her when Nine carried her for two days, after she had had her heart shot out.

When they finally reached the truck, Alice dropped Angel carefully, placing him in the main, canvas-covered back. Alice knew he wouldn’t like for much longer unless he got more blood.

 “What’s your blood-type?” Alice said to Angel, his eyes going misty.

 He whispered O positive into her ear.

 Alice kicked the tire of the truck. “Shit! Goddammit!” She was A negative. Alice looked to Redd. “What’s your blood-type?”

 “O positive. I think.”

 “It’s got to be enough.” Alice said as she went into the truck, to come back with an IV tube, and two needles.

 Alice motioned for Redd to get in the back, next to Angel, and then rolled up his sleeve to expose the inside of his elbow. Alice found the bulgiest vein in that area, and pushed the needle into it. Blood spurted into her face as she plugged the wound with the sharp metal. When the needle was in, she attached it to the hose. Next, she did the same needle procedure to Angels arm. When the hose was connecting them, Alice pulled her gloves off and put them into one soft ball, handing them Redd to squeeze repeatedly. After about three squeezes of the fabric, a flow of blood began to course through the clear plastic tube. Alice had Redd stand up to increase the flow of blood.

 When the blood was moving towards Angel, Alice got in the front seat, opening up a metal shutter to talk to Redd.

 “Where’s the prison?”

 “Hang on!” He bent down to Angel. “Go straight for nine blocks, then go left. It’s a one-floor, silver coloured-.” He paused to bend down again, “A one-floor silver coloured building.”

 Alice nodded. She drove that way, heading in the opposite direction of a lot of LSF reinforcements.

 The pace was frantic. Sweat ran down her brown, stinging her eyes. Alice was a bad driver at the best of times, but now she was crashing into the things, and the front of the truck was steaming.

 Redd banged on the cab. “Be careful! You’re killing him!”

 Those words. You’re killing him, stuck with her longer than he probably meant.

(BREAK)

 Alice finally made it to the prison, a dense, windowless building, with an old sign that read Markish Detainment Facility. Alice stopped the truck, got out, and opened the door. Angel looked more lucid.