Chapter 13 - APPLE

Chapter 13: APPLE

Alice awoke from her phone buzzing with a text message from Fhionna.

“Alice. Where r u?”

Alice replied: “Took a nap @ the park, srry.”

“Come home”

“K”

Alice got up off of the tree. The sun was setting, and the pink clouds ensured a beautiful sunset, as well as another lovely day tomorrow.

What Alice didn’t know, was that she wouldn’t be there to see it.

She stood up, and brushed the grass off of her jeans. There was no one to be seen. Just her in the small square of land in the middle of the town that counted as a park. Alice turned around, and noticed the tree that she had been sleeping against. It was an apple tree, with a couple dozen ripe, green apples hanging from the branches. She walked around the tree, intending to pick one, when she noticed something curious.

A red apple was in a tree of green ones.

Like in the dream.

Alice decided to pick that one.

She climbed up, noticing that the branches of the tree were remarkably conviently placed, they were

almost like a ladder. Alice climbed, until she was eye-level with the red fruit. She eyed it suspiciously,

and briefly considered taking a pill. But no, she decided she would try this.

Alice touched the apple, felt its cool skin…

And something amazing happened. Something so terrible, so incredible, so drastically bad and good at the same time.