Chapter 28

(Megan on the left and Eric on the right)

"Maddie? You alright?" Megan asked as she came into the office to see my staring down at my paperwork.

"Y-yes." I stuttered as I picked up a pen.

"What's going on with you? You're not stressing for once." She laughed as she pulled up a chair next to my desk and sat down.

"I don't even know. I'm just numb today." I said as I looked up at her blankly.

"Is there anything you want to talk about?" Megan asked as she leaned against her arm.

"To be honest it'll probably bore you-"

"You're boring me right now. I've got another half an hour till a patient comes in, so spill." She smirked as I took in a deep breath.

"Have you ever crossed paths with an old bo- friend?" I asked quickly changing my mind on what to refer to Harry as. She looked at me confusedly before answering.

"No, not really..." She said with squinted eyes trying to understand what I was talking about.

"This is completely pointless then I shouldn't even-"

"No. I still want to hear it. Craig is boring I don't get any drama from him." She said making me laugh.

"Well I'll just tell you what happened then." I said as she nodded her head quickly and leaned in closer to hear.

"I went to a party last night with Eric and one of my old friends was there. I had no idea he was going to be there and we didn't end on very good terms so when I saw him I panicked, dropped my drink, and ran outside." I said causing Megan to laugh. "Hey that's not funny Meg!" I scolded as she toppled over from laughter.

"I can just picture you running in heels!" She said as she slapped her knee and wiped her eyes as she was currently crying.

"Can I continue?" I asked as she nodded her head.

"Well, then he followed me out and got mad when I told him his friend still knew where I was and wouldn't tell him. Then he was about to say something profound when Eric came out and stopped our conversation short. They introduced each other and then he walked back inside like nothing had happened."

"This wasn't just an old friend was it?" Megan said as she wiggled her eyebrows making me smile.

"I don't know what you're talking about." I said casually as I turned back around towards my paperwork.

"Hell no! We're finishing this story right now!" She said as she grabbed my chair and spun me back around to face her.

"It's done." I chuckled as her eyes went wide.

"So he just left?! After practically professing his love to you?! What the heck is wrong with this guy?!" She gasped dramatically.

"Professing his love to me?! He didn't even finish his sentence!"

"He was going to say something though wasn't he! He was going to say how he was sorry for ending on bad terms and wants to get back together-"

"No! Not happening! Did I mention he's crazy? He's been the most stalkerish boyfriend I've ever had!"

"Girl you are in deeper than you even know." She said while shaking her head and standing up.

"What're you talking about?" I said looking at her like she had gone mentally insane.

"You'll see."

"Eric I'm home!" I called as I shut the front door and walked into the kitchen.

"Hey babe how was your day at work?" He said as he passed through and kissed my cheek.

"Good actually."

"Babe how many times do I have to tell you that you need to stop stress-wait good?" He started making me shake my head at him.

"I see you have that line memorized now. Yes it was actually good today." I said as I walked towards the fridge and pulled out the leftover Chinese food we called in yesterday.

"Can I ask why?"

"Megan and I had a very calming girl talk." I said as heated up the chicken and rice before sitting down at the table and eating it. "Do you want to maybe do something tonight like-"

"Awh babe, I told my dad I'd come to his meeting tonight. I thought you'd be tired from work so I didn't think it'd be that much of a problem I'm so-"

"No it's ok, you have your own job that has needs too. I'm sure I can find something to do around here. This place really needs to be cleaned if anything."

"Hey well I'm sorry. Can we do something tomorrow?" Eric said as he placed his hand on my cheek.

"Sure. Why are you so dressed up tonight anyways?" I asked noticing he had a very fancy suit on just for a meeting.

"Really big business men coming in tonight. My dad told me to make a good impression. How do I look?" He said as he turned around showing off his suit and his nicely polished shoes.

"Handsome." I said as I stood up and kissed him as he walked to the front door.

"I'll be back later tonight! Don't wait up for me!" He said as he opened the front door and disappeared into the darkness.

"Alright bye!" I huffed as I shoved another bite of rice into my mouth and looked around the house. "Well I guess I'll start out vacuuming."