Chapter 5

(Pic of Ani)

I actually hated high school parties. I know, shocking. I only went to them because I didn't have an excuse not to be there. There was always a slutty girl who would throw herself at me or a guy who would offer me a beer when the reality was I wasn't for any of that.

It was around nine-thirty when I walked into the party. And everything was going according to the usual plan. The potheads were in one corner, sluts in another, alcoholics were looking for the booze, and everyone else was enjoying themselves. Perfect.

I walked over to the CD rack and indulged in the mix of different music. Most of it was junk that not even I would listen to but I was still on the hunt for a certain Sum 41 album. What? I'm a music nerd too, I know.

There was a tap on my shoulder. "Looking for something?" A female voice asked.

"My life. Have you seen it?" I said sarcastically with a chuckle.

"Funny, aren't you Lane Hart, captain of the football team?"

"Yeah, that would be me. Why?" I asked as I continued to search for the CD.

"Wow, I never thought I'd see such a rare sight. The captain of our school football team is looking at a music collection." She scolded me. "Now, from what I've observed, the stupidity of most football players results in behavior such as drinking, smoking, or having sex at these types of parties. I'm curious to know what makes you different than the rest of your teammates."

I turned to look at the girl who was giving me shit. She had long, dark hair and was wearing a band t-shirt and skinny jeans. True beauty stood right in front of me. And I had no idea what to say.

"Come with me." I said as I led her outside to the back porch where it was more quiet. We sat down on the steps. "Sorry, it's easier to hear you out here. I'm Lane by the way."

"I know who you are." She rolled her eyes. "I'm Ani, short for Anilia, but if you call me that I'll kill you." Beautiful and tough. I was impressed.

"So how do you know so much about me, Ms. Ani? Are you one of my many adoring fans?" I asked jokingly.

"My twin brother plays football too. He's the one who threw this party and whenever he throws parties I have to 'stay in the shadows and not talk to any of his friends'."

"So you decided to talk to the team captain? Yeah, that totally makes sense." I smiled. "Oh, I get it; you totally have a crush on me, don't you?"

Ani punched me in the arm. "Shut up. I don't date jocks. They're all assholes and only care about themselves. I dated one before and I'll never go back."

"Well, what if I said that I wasn't like the other guys?"

"Then I'd say you were lying."

"But I'm not lying. I love reading books and being a complete nerd but if people find out they'll think I'm insane. Everyone just expects me to be someone I'm not so I just put on this act and hope it's working."

"So let me get this straight, you're actually a nerd?" She nearly died laughing. "I can't believe it. You have to be lying."

"It's true, ask me anything."

"Okay, who's your favorite author?"

"It would have to be between Charles Dickens and Edgar Allan Poe. But if I had to chose, I would probably pick Dickens since A Tale of Two Cities is my favorite book of all time."