Chapter 44

​ I sat on the couch typing a new story on my laptop. Sam walked downstairs and sat with me, resting his head on my shoulder.

​"Lane?" He called out, looking up at me with his gorgeous blue eyes.

​"Yes, my darling husband whom I love so much?" I replied, continuing to type.

​He kissed my cheek. "How about we go out tonight. Just you and I."

​"While we're at it we can get a motel room and have sex all night long."
​"I'm serious, Lane. I want to go out to dinner with you tonight. I'm thinking Italian."

​I closed my laptop and put it aside. "Okay, what do you want this time? And if it's a puppy, then my answer is always going to be no. No matter how much you beg me, we're not getting a dog."

​"Why do you think I want something? I just want to go out with you. It's been a while since we've had a night to ourselves."

​"Sam, have you forgotten that I've been married to you for fourteen years? Fourteen long years. I know you. And whenever you want to go out with just me, that means you want something."

​"Okay, I wanted to talk to you about this over dinner, but I guess I'll just have to tell you now."

​"Tell me, darling. I'm just dying to know."

Sam kissed me passionately. It was definitely something big.

​"Lane, I want to have another baby." Sam said.

​I paused. "Did you just say what I think you said?"

​"Yes, I want another baby."

​"Sam, I love you very much and you know that. But I don't think having another baby in this house is the greatest idea right now."

​"Give me one good reason why."

​"I can give you plenty of good reasons. You're a cop that works long hours, we have a teenager to take care of, I'd rather not get two hours of sleep each night, and there's also the fact that we don't know a woman would be willing to go through the pain of birthing a child just for us."

​"Come on, Lane. You remember how cute Charlie was as a baby."

​"Yeah, after he was done throwing up on me for the fiftieth time."

​"Please. I don't ask you for much. Our friends John and Mike adopted a baby from Germany."

​"I'm not ready to have another baby in the house. We have one amazing son and that's enough for me. Maybe in a few years when Charlie is living at college and we have the house to ourselves. But right now, my answer is no."

​He rested his head in my lap with a sigh. "It was worth a try."
​I bent down and kissed his lips. "I love you, Sammy."

​"I love you too, Lane. You're the only person in the world that can call me 'Sammy' and it won't piss me off."

​Charlie came downstairs and glanced at us. "If you have another baby, can I get a puppy?"

​Sam looked up at me with hopeful eyes.

​"Charlie, when you're old enough to have your own house and pay your own bills, then you can get a puppy." I said.

​"Damn, I really thought that would work."

​My husband got up. "Don't worry, kid, I'll persuade your father one day."

​"Good luck with that." I said with a smile.

.       .       .

​Sam climbed into bed and curled up next to me with a smile.

​"You look exhausted." He said to me.

​"I am." I replied.

​"The first day is always the hardest. It will get better. For him too."

​"The past fourteen years have gone by so quickly. I still remember holding him for the first time in the hospital."

​"Everyone always told us that they grow up so quickly. We just refused to believe them."

​"Dakota would be so proud of us if she knew how well we took care of him. She loved him to the moon and back."

​Sam kissed me. "Come on, let's talk about something else."

​I paused. "I love you, Sam." I ran my fingers through his hair and smiled. "You know I will always love you."

​"I love you too."

​"Did you ever think you would become a cop? After all of those years in a football jersey?"

​"No, I thought I was going to play for the Patriots and live in a mansion with Tom Brady as my husband." He chuckled.

​"You could have been the hottest gay football player in America."

​"I'm not that good looking."

​"Please, you were gorgeous in that jersey. And the pants did a good job of showing your great ass." I kissed him and squeezed his but slightly.

​He chuckled. "Hey, you were pretty hot back then talk."

"And I'm not now?"

"I wasn't saying that!"

​I just smiled at him. "Look at us now. A cop and a writer with no desire to even watch football. Who would have thought that we'd end up like this?"

​"Dakota probably did at one point."

​"Yeah." I said silently.

"Well, I'm exhausted. Let's get to sleep." He said and rested his head on my chest. "Goodnight, Lane."

​"Goodnight, Sam."