Chapter 31

The first day back to school was difficult since everyone stayed up till two in the morning watching the new season of Orange is the New Black and slept in until noon. Eating junk food all day also takes a huge toll when you have to climb four flights of stairs to get to your first period class. You could bet that was fun.

"Come on, you can make it." Zach said as he dragged me through the door.

"No, I can't." I muttered groggily and stumbled inside. Then I finally glanced at the stairs and groaned. "Fuck, there's stairs?"

"Yes, Lane. There's always stairs."

I rested my head on his shoulder. "Carry me, please."

"As much as I'd love to carry you, my handsome prince, I have to go pass in my essay. I guess you'll just have to climb the stairs just like everyone else. It's not that difficult anyway."

"Easy for you to say, Mr. Six Pack."

"I'll see you later. Love you." He gave me a quick kiss and walked off.

Ani walked over to me with a smile. But he looked different. He had lipstick on and wasn't wearing a binder.

"Hey, Lane." He said.

"Hey, Ani, what's with the..."

Before I could finish my sentence, Jessie Levi walked over. He was the guy who took my place of popularity after I came outbid the closet. He was a jock, an asshole, and just like I used to be.

"Come on, Ani. You shouldn't talk to fags." Jessie said and dragged him away.

Ani looked upset as his boyfriend took him away. It's a horrible thing when someone denies their partner's gender identity. It's just wrong.

.       .       .

"So how was your day?" Zach asked me as I sat down on the couch with him.

"Boring as always." I replied.

He pulled me into his arms. "Stay and cuddle with me?"

"How could I refuse?"

He kissed my cheek. "I love you."

"I love you too."

My phone buzzed on the coffee table. I reached over and answered it. "Hello?"

"Lane?" Ani said on the other end. He was crying his eyes out.

"Ani, what's wrong?" I stood, breaking free from my boyfriend's embrace.

"I'm sorry for everything I've ever put you through. But I have to do this. I can't life in a world like this anymore. I'm so sorry. Goodbye." Then the last thing I heard was the sound of the gunshot.

My best friend was dead.