Chapter 22

(Pic of Zach's stepdad, David)

Trigger warning: child abuse and beating. Don't read if you know it will trigger you.

"Lane, I'm sorry. I've been an asshole lately. I love you." Sam said on the other end of the phone.

I hung up and ran downstairs, grabbing my jacket and slipping on my shows. Anxiety built up within me as a drove. Sam was in love with me, Zach was in love with me, but I didn't know who I loved.

I knocked on Zach's front door and let out s shaky breath.

Zach opened the door with a smile. He smelled like alcohol but I didn't care.

"Hey baby, you-"

I cut him off by kissing him. He kissed back slowly and put his hands on my waist.

"Make love to me." I said against his lips.

He shut the door and carried me upstairs without questioning me.

. . .

My head rested on Zach's chest as he stroked my hair. I loved him. I only loved him. I didn't love Sam. I couldn't love Sam.

"You're adorable." Zach said to me.

"I love you."

"I love you too, Lane."

There was the sound of a door slamming downstairs. Zach shot up with a panicked look on his.

"Hide in my closet and don't say a word until I tell you to come out." He told me.

I ran to the closet, leading the door slightly open. As afraid as I was, I had to stay calm and not make a sound.

"ZACHARY!!!" A voice boomed from downstairs. His stepdad, I presumed.

Zach put his clothes on and quickly grabbed a book, pretending to read.

"There you are, little faggot." His stepdad slurred when he walked in. He was drunk. "Who did you give AIDS to today? Hmm? I bet you liked it when he stuck his cock in your sick little ass, you faggot."

"Yeah, I liked it, David." Zach said quietly.

"You're a sick little shit. You're lucky I haven't kicked you out of this fucking house yet. All you ever do is spread your fucking faggot disease."

"I'm sorry."

"Take your shirt off, you fucking disgrace." His stepdad hissed.

Zach put the book down and took off his shirt. David took his belt off and started beating my boyfriend. And all I did was sit in the closet and cry quietly. I couldn't do anything else.

"You can come out now." Zach said shakily after his stepfather left.

I stepped out of the closet cautiously. "Where did he go?"

"To the bar like he does every night. We're safe now." He wrapped his arms around me even though it hurt him. "I'm sorry you had to see that, baby. Buts okay. Soon enough I'll leave for college and after that we can move in together."

I buried my face in his chest. "He's hurting you for no reason. You need to get away from this place."

"I promise things will get better soon." He kissed the top of my head.

Tears were rolling down my cheeks. "I love you, Zach."

"I love you too, Lane."

Song: Beaten In Lips by Beartooth

So now we know what Zach's stepdad is like. Vote and comment please :3