Chapter 9

(Pic of Dakota)

It was the night of the Homecoming dance and I was shocked by how much Sam wanted to go. The thing was, that dance was the most heterosexual thing in the universe. You were only allowed to bring a date of the same sex.

"Maybe they'll have to make us dance ten feet away from each other to keep the hetero in place." I chuckled as I turned off the car.

"Don't be an asshole. We're lucky they let as go as friends."

"I just hope neither of us win Homecoming King. Whatever poor girl who wins would be in for a treat."

He glanced at me with his sweet blue eyes. "You look handsome tonight."

"So do you." I said quietly.

"Did you not want to come?"

"Of course I wanted to come. I'm just nervous. I'm not out and..."

"Lane, it's going to be fine. Lots of guys go to the dance with friends. No one is going to think anything of it." He leaned over and kissed me quick.

"You totally owe me for this, Sammy."

After a few hours of having fun with friends, it was time for them to announce Homecoming court.

I heard my name echo throughout the room. Sam smiled at me and pushed me forward to go up. I walked over and received my plastic crown, glancing over at Dakota who looked beautiful in her pink dress and plastic tiara.

She didn't want to dance with me and I knew it. So I jumped down from the stage and rushed through the crowd to Sam.

"Lane, what the hell are you doing?" Sam asked.

"I'm doing the right thing."

And just like that, I kissed Sam in front of the whole school. But his reaction broke my heart. He pushed me away and just left. And there was no reason to chase after him.