Chapter 7

(Pic of Sam)

Sam came over to hang out the next day. He looked really upset as we played Call Of Duty on Xbox. I felt the urge to ask him but I had to do it in a way that wouldn't make things awkward.

"Dude, what's up with you today? You're being all quiet and Sam Matthews is never one to be quiet." I paused the game when I couldn't stand to look at someone who was more depressed than I was inside.

"It's nothing." He muttered quickly and diverted his eyes away from me.

"Sam, I can tell when something's up. Just tell me what's wrong. I won't judge you, I promise." I sat up on my bed with him.

"Lane, you've been my best friend since we were in preschool and I honestly don't think that anyone in this entire world understands me as much as you do. But there's something I need to tell you and I don't want anything to change between us." He sighed and looked at me with his sweet blue eyes. "Lane, I'm gay."

I froze there for a moment, only able to hear the sound of my own heartbeat. "Really?"

"Yeah."

"This doesn't change a thing, Sammy. I accept you and we're still going to be friends no matter what." I smiled at him. "So who's the lucky guy?"

"There isn't one yet. But there is this one guy that I've had a huge crush on for as long as I can remember." He blushed and gave me a sweet smile that turned into a frown. "The thing is, he likes girls and I know he does. So he'd never be interested in me."

"How do you know? He could be be the 'straightest', most popular guy and school and have a secret that he isn't letting get out."

"He was at this party last night. And I saw him sitting on the porch flirting with a girl. He seemed really into her too."

My heart was racing. It was me! He had a crush on me! I couldn't believe it. That was my once chance to tell him how I really felt.

"Sam, I never know you felt that this way about me."

"It's just a silly crush, Lane. I would never chance with you anyway."

"Can you keep a secret?" I asked.

"Are you kidding? Who can keep a secret better than I can?"

"True."

"Okay, so spill."

"I don't mean to step on your moment, but I think I'm bisexual. Lately I've just gotten these weird feelings asked certain guys and then it all just clicked."

"Cool."

I couldn't fight the urge to kiss him. So without even thinking, I leaned in and pressed my lips to his. It only lasted for a moment and that was one of the greatest moments of my life.

Sam pulled away and glared at me. "Lane..."

"I'm sorry, but I had to. I never though I'd actually get the guts to do that."

"It's nothing to be ashamed of. This can be our little secret if you want it to be."

I leaned in and kissed him again, but this time he kissed back.

"I have to get going." He said against my lips.

"Don't leave. Stay, just for a little longer."

Sam put his hand on my shoulder and looked at me with his dazzling blue eyes. "I don't want to be the one to change you."

"What do you mean?"

"You're a popular guy who likes girls and plays football and you shouldn't drop all of that just because we kissed."

"I've never cared about any of that stuff. All I care about is you and surviving high school."

He just kissed me again.