Chapter 17

"He stopped me on the sidewalk and asked what time it was. But when I told him, he took advantage and..." Ani tried to explain. "Lane, please don't tell anyone. I'm just so scared."

"Shh, it's okay." I cooed as I hugged him.

"I don't want to talk about this anymore."

"You don't have to then."

"So how's the boyfriend?"

"He's good. He was actually over earlier."

"I heard you two had sex. How was it? Did he have a great body? Is he any good in bed?"

"Whoa, calm down there. I've only done it with him once." I chuckled. "He's gorgeous and absolutely amazing in bed. It was one of the best nights of my life."

My phone buzzed in my pocket and I looked to see it was Zach.

"Speak of the devil." I chuckled and answered it. "Hey."

"Hey, babe. Uh, something came up. Can I crash at your place tonight?" Zach asked.

"Yeah, come over."

"I'll be there soon. Bye." He hung up.

"I'm gonna get going. I'll see you later." Ani said.

"Stay safe."

"I will."

.      .      .

I raced down to the front door when I heard the bell. Zach didn't smile when he saw me. I just looked at his bloody, bruised face in awe. I stepped outside and shut the door behind me.

"What happened to you?" I asked.

"My stepdad came home drunk again. The bastard beat me senseless and I couldn't even fight back." Tears were rolling down his cheeks with every word.

I wrapped my arms around him gently, hoping that I wasn't hurting him.

"Can I stay here tonight? I can't go back home, Lane. I just can't."

I wiped his tears away with my thumb. "Come in, you're always welcome here."

I led him upstairs and locked my bedroom door after getting a wet cloth and the first aid kit. Zach took off his shirt to show me the scars, bloody marks, and many bruises. Some were so faded that k hadn't even noticed them a few nights before.

"He likes to use a belt when he beats me." He said, taking a moment to collect his thoughts. "My mother tried to divorce him but he beat her too. Sometimes I can her her crying when he's hitting her. It makes we want to kill him."

I picked up the cloth and dabbed the open marks. It killed me to watch him in so much pain.

"I'm never going to stop worrying about you now." I said to him.

"This has happened before, I can handle it. Tonight was just bad and I needed you."

"I don't want you getting hurt."

"I'll be fine as long as I have you." He said and gave me a kiss. Those were the few words that sealed the deal.