Chapter 11

By the end of the night, I had over two hundred text messages and social media messages from people from school. And as I read through them, I became even more depressed. I tried to call Sam but he was probably asleep since he didn't answer. So I called Ani.

"Lane, what the hell do you want? If this is about what you did the other day, then I don't want to hear about it." Ani answered with.

"Ani, I need you." I sniffled. "I've done something horrible to myself.

"What?" It scared me how there was no concern in her tone.

"I cut my wrists and I think I cut way too deep. The bleeding won't stop."

Silence fell on the other end. "I'll be right over." And with that, she hung up.

I waited until I heard her car pull into the driveway. When I let Ani in, she hugged me tight.

"Oh my god, Lane." Her hands cupped my cheeks. "You scared the living shit out of me. Are you okay?"

"I'm not, Ani."

"Is anyone else home?"

"No."

She grabbed my hand and led me to the upstairs bathroom. "Show me the cuts you made and don't lie about anything. If you want my help you need to be honest."

I showed her my bloody arms.

"Is this it?"

I nodded.

"Take off your jeans and shirt, I don't believe you."

I did as she said and took my clothes off, revealing my boney figure.

"Lane, how long has it been since you've eaten a whole meal?"

"A couple days."

"You're anorexic too?"

"No, I've just been too depressed to eat."

Ani sighed. "Wash your cuts every day and you can use some of my make up to cover them. Wear sweatshirts and don't roll up your sleeves just in case. As for food, come to me everyday for breakfast and lunch. We'll do this until you can do it on your own." She said as I put my clothes back on. "Come on, let's get your mind off of this."

We sat in my room and watched Dead Poets Society. It was one of my favorite movies and helped me think of better things.

"I love this movie." Ani said. "It's beautifully made and the actors just fit in, you know?"

"Yeah." I looked over to her. "Thanks for being here."

"No problem. I wouldn't just say no if you were harming yourself." She rolled up her sleeves to show her faded scars. "I guess we all have our own little secrets."

I hugged her. "Let's promise we won't do this to ourselves again."

"I, Anilia Rose Gilmore, pledge to never cut again." She said with a smile.

"And I, Lane Gregory Hart, also promise to never cut again."

It was a strange feeling when saying that. I was making a promise to a friend that I knew I couldn't keep.