*REVISED* Chapter One

I push open the doors to the school exit and stumble onto the uneven sidewalk, pulling my coat tighter around me as I flow with the crowd of people hurrying down the street. I keep my head down, looking up only to dodge any person or object in my way. I absolutely hate leaving campus during rush hour, having to push and shove my way through throngs of commuters to go somewhere that probably could have waited a few hours. But Ellie told me it was important we meet right this moment, so of course I drop everything I am doing to head down the street and meet her at Mikey's Coffee Shop. Before I am able to pull open the door to Mikey's someone yanks my arm back and pulls me roughly away.

"What the fuck man?!" I yell out briskly trying to regain control of my arm. I am about to start screaming for help when I recognize the perfectly manicured hands that are pulling me a little bit further down the street.

"What the hell, Ellie?" I demand, prying her hand off of my forearm as I attempt to regain my balance.

"I'm sorry, but I couldn't let you go in there yet." Ellie stops walking and turns to face me, scaring me with the intensity of her hazel eyes. She looks pissed, but slightly pitying as well.

"So, you made me leave campus during one of the busiest times of the day to not meet you at Mikey's?" I pull my hat further down as I simultaneously duck my head against the wind. "I don't have time to play games right now Ellie. I have two finals tomorrow and I'm going to fail if I don't study."

Ellie just stares at me, not responding. I can tell she's trying to figure out how she's going to say whatever it is on her mind; so I just stand here waiting, shivering on the sidewalk in the middle of a New York winter.

"Kaiydeen..." She says slowly, her eyes and lips puckering as she continues to stare at me. "How much do you like Dustin?"

Well that was unexpected. I look down at the sidewalk, rocking back and forth as I try to figure out where she is going with this.

"What? I mean, he's cool, I guess." I kick at the cracks in the concrete, choosing my words carefully.

"He's cool. You guess." Ellie repeats, her facing portraying her incredulity.

I laugh as I step to the side, allowing a woman in a business suit and sneakers to hurry past. "What do you want me to say, Ellie? That I love him? I barely know the kid! But the past few months we've been together have been fun. I'm excited to see where this goes."

Ellie breathes heavily as she looks over her shoulder toward the coffee shop. I huff out a sigh as well.

"Listen, I know you don't like him, but he's not like the other assholes at St. Bart's. It seems like he actually cares." I stop talking when I saw the frown on Ellie's face.

Her lips pinch together in frustration while she reaches up to pinch the bridge of her nose.

"This jackass is going to pay," she growls as an angry look washes over her face.

"What are you talking about?" I ask, unable to figure out why she's asking about him. "Can we please do this somewhere else? I'm shivering my ass off out here!"

I expect Ellie to crack a joke about that taking a lot of shivering, but her bottom lip trembles slightly. "Follow me."

She takes my hand and escorts me back to Mikey's. As she opens the door I gently loosen my grip on her hand, giving her a subtle hint to let go, but she only tightens her hold. I look around the shop and try to figure out what it is that Ellie is so obviously trying to show me. My heart sinks when I see two figures huddling together in a booth at the back of the shop.