*REVISED* Chapter Twenty-nine

I pull the tray of macaroni and cheese out of the oven before laying it on the counter next to the numerous other dishes. Then I flit over to the stove, stirring one of the half dozen pots set to various heating levels as I try to take over my mom's position of doing everything myself while she relaxes in the living room. So I ignore the different conversations and bouts of laughter echoing throughout the warm house. I hear the doorbell ring once again, but pay it no mind, as I trust someone else to answer the door.

I throw myself completely into my cooking; hoping that all of these tasks will finally pull my mind from the problems plaguing it. But I have no such luck; flashes of two different boys sending shivers through my spine.

"Boo!" Someone yells as they poke my side.

I scream, almost knocking a pot off of the stove as I try to spin around to confront my attacker. Ellie keels over with laughter, the bowl of potato salad she is holding nearly kissing the floor.

"You're so not funny," I grunt as I turn back to the stove.

"And a Merry Christmas to you, too," she smiles as she hugs me from behind.

She places the bowl on the island along with all of the other food as she looks around, getting an eye for the spread. She nods approvingly before turning her attention back to me.

"So where is it?" She asks with a smile.

I pretend I don't know what she is talking about, pasting a confused look on my face. "Where's what?"

"Where's it?" She emphasizes, holding out her hand this time.

"What's it?" I try to keep the smirk off my face, managing to pull off a confused smile.

"You know what I'm talking about," she huffs crossing her arms over her sweater. "But, if you didn't get me a present you could always just tell me what was going on with Charlie."

I roll my eyes at her obvious ploy, leading her from the kitchen to grab her two gifts out from under the tree in the living room. She squeals when she sees the bag and the box, drawing the attention of all of the adults, and a few of the children, in the room.

"Can I open it?" She grins, already tearing out the tissue paper out of the bag and throwing it onto the floor.

I laugh and nod, watching her pull out the items I bought her. First she pulls out a black cap with the word Supreme written in white cursive block letters, framed inside a white box. Then comes the floor length, long sleeve cardigan I found for her at Forever 21; the black and white checkers matching the bleach white jeans she pulls out next. Her eyes light up at the clothing before she rips the paper off of the other box balanced precariously in her hands. She unwraps a pair of chunky, black platform booties in a Cole Haan box.

Ellie screams, throwing the clothes to the floor as she pries open the box, genuine tears flowing down her face as she looks and forth between my evil grin and her dream shoes.

"How did you afford these?" She blubbers.

"I may have been lying about how broke I was for the last couple of months," I grin. "I was able to save up the money, so all I had to do was make sure that your parents didn't get them for you before I could."

Ellie wheels on her mom and dad, who are sitting on the sectional chatting with some of my relatives. "You were in on this?"

Momma Masters laughs as she flutters her fingers. "Of course we were."

Ellie can't even feign anger as she holds the shoes to her chest, looking at me with complete adoration. "I love you so much," she laughs as tears still stain her cheeks.