*REVISED* Chapter Twelve

I force my eyes open when I feel Ellie start to squirm next to me. A groan escapes my lips as I roll away from her. A finger pokes into the center of my back.

"I will grab this pillow and hold it over your head until you stop breathing if you don't let me sleep," I growl as I clench my eyes tighter. Her foot digs into my back as I slide my head under the pillow.

"When did you leave to get food?" She grumbles, still as tired as I am. I finally drag my head out from under the pillow and see her sleepy gaze locked on the nearly empty food tray.

"I didn't," I yawn, stretching my arms above my head as I try to remember the answer to her question. "I guilted Archer into bringing it up. Want some?"

She frowns as she looks over at the partially open packet of cookies and then at the crumbs covering the duvet. "I'd prefer to have my first meal of the day be real food. Like, a buffet of food."

"Well, all I have here are some chocolate chip cookies." I drop a few more chocolate chips on the bed as I shake the sleeve in her face, waiting for her to take it. Her frown deepens as her sleepy eyes take in the food that is being shoved in her face.

"It's cool," She murmurs, pushing the cookies out of her face while holding her stomach dramatically. "I guess I'll just starve."

And now she's guilt tripping me. What can I say? Great minds think alike.

"Let's go down to the kitchen, drama queen," I laugh as I drag her out of bed behind me. As soon as we open the door to my room I can smell the intoxicating fragrance of hotlinks, chicken broth, and various spices. Even though I ate a tray full of snacks not too long ago my hunger is renewed as soon as I smell Momma's cooking.

We walk into the kitchen to see Mom covering a pot on the stove before sliding over to the counter to start slicing some bread. I've missed this. Watching Mom scurry around our overtly large kitchen as she puts the finishing touches on a dish she probably just threw together, but tastes gourmet nonetheless. Trying to sneak a bite before she's finished and being shooed out of the kitchen; so I send my dad in as a distraction to sneak a spoonful for the both of us. Using our stomachs as trays while my brother and I watch whatever raunchy show happens to be on Comedy Central at the moment. I slide onto a stool at the island with Ellie moving to occupy the seat next to me. It feels good to be home.

"What's for dinner, Momma? I'm starving!" I smile as I eye the pots on the stove.

"Starving? What is your stomach: an endless pit?" Ellie laughs as she spins on her stool.

"Jambalaya. It's just about ready, too. Can you go get the boys? I think they're both in the living room." Mom turns back to the pot and gives it one final stir before lifting the spoon up give it a quick taste.

"Can I have a taste first?" I beg as I hop off of my stool and start to pad towards the stove.

"No, you can have some with everyone else." Mom shakes her head as she shoos me away. "Now do as I ask please."

I grumble pitiful nothings as I mope out of the kitchen. I walk in the living room to find my father reading the newspaper on his La Z Boy recliner and Archer focused on the TV, still playing Call of Duty. I skip over to my father and jump onto him, throwing my arms around his neck as I crush the newspaper between us.

"Papa!" I yell as I give him a bear hug.

"Hey there, baby girl," He smiles as he tries to extract the crumpled paper between us for a moment before giving up and hugging me back. The perfectly trimmed goatee on his chin tickles my forehead as the smooth drawl of his soulful voice makes me hug him tighter.