*REVISED* Chapter Twenty-three

I don't want to get out of the car; so I'm sitting in the passenger seat of Archer's Toyota as he impatiently taps his fingers against the wheel.

"Get a move on, KD. I'm already running late because of this detour."

My fingers flutter over the door handle as I anxiously stare up at Ellie's house. I don't know why I'm nervous. I was just over here a couple days ago and nothing happened.

I grab my bag as I step out of the car, Archer leaving me in a cloud of dust before I've even taken a step. And since there is no longer a presence looming over me, urging me to go into the house, I just stand in the middle of the driveway, staring up at the stoic manor displayed in front of me.

This is the first time I've hesitated outside of Ellie's house in years, normally bounding up to the wrap-around front porch and throwing open the double doors, knowing that it's already unlocked especially for me. But I can't even take a step up the flower-encased front path; a nervous zap of energy freezes all of my limbs.

I stall for time by letting my eyes drift over the façade; taking in the recently touched up cream paint that highlights the shutters, and the alternating light grey and brown bricks that make the house seem older than it really is. Finally, I slowly walk up the driveway and climb the steps to the spacious front porch as my hand hovers over the door handle. Should I just walk in like always? Should I ring the doorbell?

Why am I hesitating?

Thankfully I don't have to figure out what to do because the door opens of it's own accord.

"Oh," she draws back a second before a blooming smile lights up her face. "Hello, Kaiydeen. I wasn't expecting to see you there."

I return her smile wholeheartedly. "Sorry to scare you Momma Masters. I was just coming over because Ellie invited me to hang out."

Her smile turns into a peculiar frown as she turns to look over her shoulder. "And I'm guessing you didn't tell her we had things to take do today?"

Ellie sheepishly peeks her head out from behind her mother; her eye's shining an apology as excuses start pouring from her lips. "Well, I didn't think we would be out that long so I ball-parked a time for Kaiy, but she can just chill in my room and wait for me until we get back!"

She starts ushering her mom out the door, a guilty smile on her face as they walk past. "Sorry," she whispers before they glide down the steps and toward one of the cars parked in the circular, private driveway.

I watch them leave from the entryway of the open door, trying to figure out what to do. I can't just leave. I have no easy way of getting home. Maybe I can call a taxi? But I don't have any cash on me.

With only one option left I step into the house, gently closing the door behind me, hoping to remain unnoticed until Ellie comes back. I press my back against the door, my ears taking in the oppressive silence looming throughout the entire house. It feels empty, void of all people and something else.

Warmth?

Happiness?

Love?

I shake my head as I take my first step into the foyer, practically tiptoeing my way across the open space to the hallway straight ahead. I veer to the immediate right as the first of two staircases in this house appears. These stairs connect to the front half of the house, while the other staircase hidden at the back of the house is closer to the kitchen.

Normally I'd wind my way back there since it is closer to Ellie's nest on the third floor but today I want to waste my time, wandering around the house I spend so much time in but never really see. Instead of going up the stairs I glide around the first floor, peeking into room I haven't entered in a while and running my hand along the furniture I no longer sit in. finally I head back to the stairs, slowly climbing the staircase to make my way to Ellie's room.