*REVISED* Chapter Thirty-one

We've been wandering around this stupid fucking mall for hours. I hate shopping during the holidays.

The stores are overcrowded with a bunch of pissed off moms dragging the uncooperative brats they call "children" from store to store as they waste their money on material items that are going to go out of style or break a couple months after they buy them anyways. 

But let me step off my soapbox.

I don't know why I agreed to go shopping with Ellie again this year. You would think after being trapped in the mall with her for the entire day last year I would have learned and declined her request to shop this time. But so far we're three hours into the shopping spree and she is just getting started.

"We should have taken separate cars," Jeremiah grumbles.

We're both parked on one of the benches in front of Charlotte Russe as Ellie and Archer shop inside. I'm slumped against Jeremiah's side and his arm is draped around my shoulders.

"You can say that again. I'm ready to take a nap." I rest my head on Jeremiah's shoulder and shut my eyes. All of this walking around has drained me of my energy.

"You've only been awake for a couple hours!" I can feel the vibrations of Jeremiah's laughter shake its way through his shoulder. "How can you already be tired?"

"Hey!" I slap at his leg as he continues to laugh. "Shopping is a lot of work!"

"Yeah. Choosing between an ugly red sweater and an ugly blue sweater must be so difficult!" Jeremiah laughs even harder at the fury displayed across my face as I clutch the bag with the dark blue sweater I just bought tighter in my hand.

"This sweater is not ugly!" My head jerks off of Jeremiah's shoulder as I swing to slap his leg again, but he catches my hand before I make contact.

He stops laughing and continues to hold onto my hand. His hazel eyes stare deeply into mine. "If you bought me an ugly sweater like that I would wear it every day to make you happy."

"It's not ugly," I growl as I return my head to rest on his shoulder.

"That reminds me. I need to get something from Best Buy." He moves to stand up and I release a loud groan, my head dramatically flopping to the side as it hangs in the air. "Come with me."

"I'd rather just stay here." I cross my arms as I straighten my neck and lean back on the bench.

"You wouldn't really make me go alone, would you?" Jeremiah pushes out his bottom lip in a mock pout.

"Yes," I nod as I make no move to rise from the bench. "Yes, I would."

Jer throws his head back as he laughs loudly and holds out his hand to help me up. I let out an exaggeratedly loud sigh as I slowly get to my feet. Jeremiah smiles in contempt as he grabs my hand, interlocking his fingers with mine.

"Shouldn't we tell them we're leaving?" I hesitate as we start to walk away, trying to spot Archer and Ellie inside of the store.

"We'll be back before they even notice we're gone." He tightens his grip on my hand and pulls me in the direction of Best Buy.

I don't even try to resist, following him down the crowded walkway and into the store. I walk beside Jeremiah as he searches through the different aisles.

"What are you looking for?" I ask as he stops to look at the rows and rows of headphones.

"My earbuds broke the other day so I need to buy a new pair." He picks up a box and studies the back, reading the description.