*REVISED* Chapter Eight

The tension in the room is unbearable. Archer is leaning against the closed door again while glaring at Charlie who is sitting at my desk that is on the left side of the shrinking room. Charlie is staring right back, refusing to be the first one to look away. Ellie and I sit side by side on her bed that's on the right, looking back and forth between the two men. Ellie elbows me in the side, encouraging me to say something. I clear my throat, hoping that the noise will distract the boys from their pissing contest.

"So..." I start, unsure of what I can possibly do to make this better. My sentence drifts off as my brain scrambles to think of something to say.

"I went to the cafeteria for breakfast the other day and they didn't have any pancakes," I blurt out while twiddling my fingers in my lap. Everyone in the room turns to stare at me, trying to figure out what the hell I'm talking about.

I continue on, unable to stop rambling. "Yeah it was like 6a.m. and I was super mad because I woke up early specifically to get some stupid pancakes because I had totally been craving them for weeks and then, when I got to the cafeteria they were all gone! Or maybe they didn't even have them that day, but either way I asked if they were making any more and they told me they only cook pancakes on the weekends. I mean what kind of stupid policy is that? Pancakes are not only a weekend type of food! I even tried to get the person to make some special for me because they already had the batter for waffles so they could just put it in a fucking pan and fry that bitch but he said no! I even said I would do it for him but he said something about a Food Handler's certificate and all this other bullshit. I was about to leave but I was already there so I just grabbed some waffles instead but they really aren't the same because of the texture—" I finally stop rambling when I hear Charlie start laughing.

Charlie's rocking back and forth on the chair with laughter. I look over at Archer and see him smiling while shaking his head, trying to hold back laughter of his own. Ellie falls into my lap, giggling at the bizarre turn of conversation. My lower lip protrudes slightly as my eyebrows pinch together in embarrassment.

"Oh don't pout!" Ellie continues to giggle, patting my leg to soothe me. Charlie tries to mask his laughter with a cough, covering his mouth with his hand to hide his smile. I cut him a glare.

Why the hell is he even here?

Archer smiles even bigger and lets out a particularly loud chuckle when he sees the expression on my face; I turn my glare on him and his smile immediately falls.

"That wasn't even funny." I mumble, playing with Ellie's hair splayed in my lap. "You guys are just assholes that couldn't recognize genius if it punched you in the face."

"Oh don't pout!" Archer repeats Ellie's words with a chuckle before returning his watchful eye back to Charlie. "So, what were you saying about last night?"

Oh boy.

Charlie looks from Archer to me, trying to figure out what he should say. I widen my eyes briefly to signal that he should keep his mouth shut and let the silence speak for itself. Charlie looks back to Archer, pushing his hair out of his face as he tilts his chin up slightly.

"I don't even really remember what happened last night," Charlie explains with a forced smile. "We were all so, uh, tired. From, uh, studying." The words fall awkwardly from his lips, but I'm silently thankful he didn't mention anything else about a party, or alcohol.

Archer asks Charlie what he was saying outside the door then.

"I have no idea what you're talking about." Charlie denies. His eyes twitching as they try not to dart back to me. Archer's eyes follow the path Charlie's refuse to take, locking on mine with a hard glare.