*REVISED* Chapter Fifteen

Shit.

"What're you doing here?" We both ask at the same time.

I refrain from rolling my eyes at the Disney Channel corniness as I continue to stare at him, hoping this is just a dream that I will wake up from momentarily. This can't be happening. He is not here right now.

"Are you following me or something?" He jokes, scuffing his Converse on the pavement. I don't say anything, continuing to stare at him in silence. I want to look away, but I'm trapped staring into the crystal blue lakes he calls his eyes.

This has to be some sort of cruel joke. This really can't be happening.

"What are you doing here, Charlie?" I ask, hoping my tone sounds light and amused instead of panicked.

"I live here."

As the words meet the air I can't suppress my groan, my head rolling back as I stare up at the cloudy skies.

Why you gotta do me like this, God? Is it because I was drinking alcohol underage? Is this my punishment for those times I copied Ellie's Calculus homework because I didn't want to do it myself?

"This is so perfect!" Ellie chuckles.

I finally look back down to cut her a glare. Ellie ignores me and instead smiles up at Charlie, rising from my lap to move back to her own seat. 

"Charile, when did you move to East Greenbush? Last time we talked, you were living fulltime in the city." Ellie tightens her ponytail and then flips it over her shoulder.

I look at Ellie curiously. What does she mean, the last time they talked? She knew Charlie before I met him?

"Well, we aren't actually living in East Greenbush, kind of on the outskirts of town where the 5 acre lots are," Charlie shrugs as he waves his hand vaguely in the direction he's talking about. "But my family moved here a couple of months ago, after I had already left for school; so this is my first time here. I was just grabbing something to eat with my sister while we were exploring the town." He gestures to the younger girl beside him.

She's a small thing, probably about 7 or 8 years old. The same striking blue eyes as her brother stand out even more because of her burgundy sweater. Her wavy light brown hair is pulled back into two pigtails that frame her oval face. Even with a passing glance you can obviously see the resemblance between the two.

Ellie beams at the younger girl, waving slightly. "Hey Adelaide! Do you remember me?"

The girl shakes her head as she stares curiously at Ellie.

"That makes sense," Ellie laughs as she shrugs. "There were a lot of people there the last time we met. Well, my name is Ellie."

"I don't like being called Adelaide," the girl frowns. "Everyone calls me Addie."

"Well, Addie, do you want to go with me to get some hot chocolate from over there?" Ellie stands up and points to a short line of people standing in front of a push cart on the other side of the plaza. Addie looks up at Charlie for permission and he nods his head slightly.

Addie races toward the vendor while Ellie trots behind her. I watch them leave, a mixture of emotions coloring my face. Charlie stands awkwardly for a bit, waiting for me to extend an invitation to sit down. I sweep my hand out, watching nervously as he pulls out the metal chair and plops down into it. Neither of us says anything for a minute, each of us waiting for the other to speak the first word.

"Did I do something wrong?" Charlie finally asks.

I scrunch my face up in confusion, my braids falling over my shoulder as I cock my head to the side and look everywhere but at him. "What could you have done wrong?"