*REVISED* Chapter Thirty-six

I yawn myself awake, my arms stretching far above my head as my toes curl deeper into the sheets. I snuggle in closer to my body pillow, wrapping my arms around it tighter as I pull it closer to me. I feel fingers curl into my side as a large breath causes my arm to move up and down. My eyes slam open as I realize that this isn't my pillow, and it's breathing.

A silk bonnet is obscuring my vision, and as I wake up more I see the caramel skin of Ellie sleeping next to me. I poke her roughly in her stomach, trying to prod her awake. She groans angrily as she rolls away from me. This time I poke her back, pressing into her spine as I try to force her awake.

"What do you want?" She moans, sleep still heavy in her voice.

"To know how you got into my bed," I reply, not nearly as sleepy as her.

Soft snores answer me; a sure sign she already fell asleep again, unless she's pretending. I allow her a few moments, checking my phone to see what time it is, but a notification catches my attention instead. I open my messages, reading the only text that has been sent to me this since I went to sleep last night.

"Morning Kaiy Baby."

I can't stop myself from smiling briefly at his text, closing my eyes as I lean back against my pillow in sudden fatigue. Things shouldn't be this complicated. I'm probably making it harder than it needs to be. I feel arms wrap around me as this time Ellie is the one to pull me closer.

"Stop thinking so much," she mumbles, even though her eyes are still closed. "All of this will be taken care of by the end of today, so just relax while you can."

I start at her voice recognizing the clarity in her tone despite the fact she was just snoring a second ago; before I groan at her words, realizing my conclusion yesterday was right, and that she is going to force me to face my problems. I try to think of a way out of this, but I keep coming up short. I see that there is no way around it.

"Ugh, let's just get this over with," I grunt I start to poke Ellie again, her snores not fooling me this time.

She rolls over with another groan and reluctantly opens her eyes, staring up at my cream colored ceiling.

"How was the dinner yesterday?" I ask, poking her again as I try to annoy her as much as possible. "Meet any cute guys?"

She blinks slowly, holding her eyes closed for so long I think she fell asleep again. I'm just about to poke her again when she opens her eyes all by herself.

"No, I didn't," she huffs angrily, sitting up in bed as she rubs the sleep out of her eyes. She swings her legs over the side of the bed and just sits there with her back to me for a minute. I start to think she fell asleep again but she slowly pushes herself to her feet, stretching her arms above her head as she stumbles to the bathroom.

"Let's just get this over with," she throws over her shoulder.

●●●

I've been standing outside of his room for the last 20 minutes, grateful that Ellie didn't follow me up here and make sure I knocked on the door. My hand is still poised midair, only a few inches away from the wood separating us.

Come on KD.

Just knock.

Do it. Do it. Do it. Do it.

My knuckles pound on the door, sounding like mini explosions echoing throughout the hall. I flinch away, taking a step back so I won't be face to face with Jer when he opens the door.

But five minutes pass and the door doesn't open. I furrow my eyebrows in confusion as I question whether or not Jer is even in there. But Ellie said he hasn't left his room in days. He has to be in there. I lower my fist and place my now open palm on the handle. I press down and slowly open the door all the way.