*REVISED* Chapter Thirty-seven

"Welcome to the Fox residence!" I beam as I swing open the front door. One of my dad's coworkers stands on the porch with his wife at his side.

"Kaiydeen, my dear!" Dr. Michaels booms, sweeping me into a hug. "My, look how much you've grown! You must be a foot taller since the last time I saw you!"

I laugh as he lifts me off my feet. "I just saw you last month Dr. Michaels! I've barely grown at all!"

He abruptly drops me back to my feet, placing his hands on my shoulders. "You grow more and more every time I see you."

I giggle as I playfully roll my eyes. Mrs. Michaels laughs with us as she gently gathers me into a hug.

"How are you doing, honey?" She pulls back to stare into my eyes.

"Great!" I respond. "I finished applying for colleges last month so now I'm just waiting to see where I got accepted." I step back so they can get out of the cold and into the warmth of the house.

"Henry!" Dad booms from down the hallway. He breaks away from the group of people he has been talking to for the last few minutes and walks toward us. "How was the ER today?"

"Brutal!" Dr. Michaels replies as he clasps my father's hand in a firm grip. "All the drunks come out on New Years Eve, so I was swamped the whole day. One man kept trying to give up on me while I was operating! I had to shock him back to life I should have called him Electro!"

I gape at Dr. Michaels slightly horrified, but Dad just explodes with laughter. "Good thing we both got the night off, huh? I'm positive Orthopedics is overrun with patients."

"New Year's Eve: A great day to break bones, huh?" Dr. Michaels laughs as he follows my dad toward the kitchen.

Mrs. Michaels spots a group of women she recognizes talking in the living room and politely excuses her self to go join them. I smile slightly as I listen to the constant buzz of conversation in the air.

The house is filled to near capacity with people, even more people than were here Christmas day. They're scattered throughout the downstairs, congregating in the kitchen, sitting rooms, living room, and hallways. Laughter drifts across the air as people munch on the delicious food Mom and I spent all day cooking. Everyone is just counting down the minutes to midnight.

To a new year. Hopefully a better one.

Well, I guess I'll find out in 2 hours how good it'll be.

Just as I'm about to head into the kitchen the doorbell rings again. I immediately turn on my heel to go answer it. The job of greeter-monkey never ends.

I swing open the door and plaster on my warmest smile. "Welcome to the... ELLIE!"

I launch myself through the door and into Ellie's waiting arms. I squeeze her neck as hard as I can, while she returns the pressure to my waist. We can't stop laughing as we cling onto each other for dear life.

"What took you so long?" I ask.

"We had to stop by a couple other parties before we were finally able to come over," she mumbles into my hair.

"Ugh, I missed you!" I whine, burying my face in her neck. "I've been suffering here by myself since 8!"

"I would have gotten here sooner if a certain two people weren't showing off to all their coworkers," she whispers, referring to her parents.

"You guys are clinging to each other like you didn't just see each other yesterday." Mr. Masters points out from as he walks up the walkway toward the door, grasping Momma Masters hand.