*REVISED* Chapter Thirty-three

We're pulled over on the side of the road down the street from my house. I asked Charlie to pull over so I can figure out what to do, but my mind is focusing on everything but that. I can't see my house so I don't know if Jeremiah's car is still parked on the street.

I want to know if his car is still there.

I haven't seen Archer's car drive past in the 10 minutes we've been sitting here. My phone has been vibrating almost nonstop for the last 40 minutes, although I don't know if its repeated phone calls or text messages that are draining my battery. Charlie interrupts my intense staring with a question, asking if I was planning on getting out of the car any time soon.

"I wasn't planning on it," I murmur as I close my eyes and lean my head back on the headrest.

"Can I ask what's going on?" He asks

"You can ask all you want, but that doesn't mean I'm going to answer."

I hear a noise that I'm not sure is a laugh or a scoff. I crack open my eyes to see Charlie shaking his head.

"So I know you think I deserve this attitude, but considering I just rescued you from whatever the hell is going on shouldn't we try being a little more cordial?"

"You're right," I sigh as I close my eyes again. "How are you Charlie? What have you been up to?"

I picture the corners of his lips turning up because I can't summon the strength to look over at him. I'm surprised Charlie didn't recognize the sarcasm in my voice when I asked him those questions, because he prattles on for a while, telling me about all of the things he's been doing in the past week. Although I try desperately to pay attention my mind keeps wandering to what just happened.

He fucked her last night.

He said he broke up with her, and he fucked her.

But I guess he did break up with her. Sex and relationships aren't mutually exclusive. But why am I taking her word for it? He said he didn't do it. I should trust him, and believe what he says. But....

The suddenly jingle of bells grabs my attention as I blink my eyes slowly and try to refocus on what Charlie is saying. "—Oh sorry I have to get this. It's my mom."

I pull in a shallow breath as I watch Charlie raise the phone to his ear and start speaking. My mind drifts again, finding its way back to my situation. I'm trying to sort through all of the emotions that are running rampant through my mind, but the two recurring ones are hurt and anger.

I can't believe that he did this to me.

Was his whole sob story last night just bullshit? How could he tell me that he wanted to be with me one second and then he's fucking her the next?

I can't stop my hand from coming up to cover my mouth, my eyes widening as another realization dawns on me. He fucked her last night and then kissed me this morning. The hands he was using to stroke her body are the same ones that were gripping mine all day. What if he didn't even have time to take a shower? My stomach turns as my mind imagines in graphic details all of the things they probably did together, knowing first hand the feelings she was probably experiencing. I clench my eyes closed to try and stop the images but they only stream faster.

Him stroking her hair.

Kissing her neck.

Thrusting into her.

Whispering he loves her.

Stop Kaiydeen! You don't know if he even did any of that stuff! Give him the benefit of the doubt, would you? Just as my lower lip starts to tremble with the effort to hold back unshed tears a hand touches my leg.