*REVISED* Chapter Forty-six

"And finally, make sure you go over the difference between price ceilings and price floors. Not only will you have to provide examples, but you may also have to label graphs with each and how it would affect the market in the long and short run." Mrs. Holt smiles happily from the front of the classroom.

I stare blankly at the scribbles written on the board. I've been struggling to pay attention all day. I've been trying to act tough and pretend like nothing is wrong, but I can't stop thinking about Jeremiah.

"Okay students, everything that we went over today will be on the midterm, but there are some other things we didn't go over that you will still be responsible for knowing as well." She smiles again, although I can't think of anything that's worth smiling for. "I know Valentine's Day is on Thursday, but we still have a midterm tomorrow so try to study tonight. You will have plenty of time after the midterm to do whatever you have planned for Valentine's Day."

I continue to stare blankly at the board, not even bothering to try and write down what is on there. The rest of my weekend was about as shitty as I expected it to. Surprisingly, Archer stayed with me until Sunday night, only leaving to bring food back to my dorm. We didn't talk much, we just watched TV. Oddly enough, it was exactly what I needed. Not to talk and try and put my feelings into words. Just wallow in my sadness a little bit longer before I was thrust back into the motions of everyday life.

But those motions couldn't be more difficult to flow with. Going through my classes was nearly impossible yesterday, and after lunch I just went back to my room and took the rest of the day off. The only reason I got up today was because Ellie was starting to ask questions, and I'd rather be trapped in a classroom than answer any of those.

The bell rings, but I make no move to gather my things and leave the classroom. I just sit at my desk, feeling the buzz in the air as the other student's talk about their Valentine's Day plans. Finally, I slowly begin to gather my things, carefully placing my notebook and pens into their designated places in my backpack. As I reach under my desk to slide my textbooks from the metal bookrack I see a pair of white high tops attached to a pair of rolled up black jeans. I drag my books up to the surface of my desk as I sigh loudly. 

"What do you want, Charlie?" I ask.

"Oh, you're talking to me now?" He asks, one of his eyebrows quirked up as he smiles down at me. "I knew you couldn't hold out forever. I'm irresistible."

I sluggishly push myself out of my desk and slide my arms into the straps of my backpack. I gather my books in my hands and head for the door, not bothering to respond.

"So," Charlie asks as he walks beside me "what are your plans for Valentine's Day?"

I still don't respond, meandering down the hallway toward the stairs.

"I was thinking maybe we could go out to dinner or something." I feel Charlie's surprising thin jacket brush against my arm with each stair we descend. "I know about this really good place in..."

Charlie keeps talking, but I'm distracted by something. Or more accurately, a lack of something. Something is missing. I crinkle my eyebrows as I try to figure out what's wrong. Something feels...off.

"Kaiy?" I'm startled when I see a hand wave in front of my face.

"What?" I ask, stepping back slightly. I look around see we're standing by the doors that lead to the quad.

"Oh." I murmur as I reach my hand to open the door, but Charlie stops me. He grabs my hand and pulls me back a few steps, pressing my back against the wall.

"What's on your mind?" He asks slightly worried as he moves to stand in front of me, blocking my exit. "You seem...out of it."

"Nothing." I conjure up a weak smile. He stares at me for a second longer before he lets it go, a bright smile taking over his face.