*REVISED* Chapter Thirteen

The rest of the night is fairly uneventful.

It's nearly 10 by the time Ellie figures she should make an appearance at home before her mom puts out a bolo on her. She slowly collects her things that have somehow scattered around my bedroom before she makes her way downstairs. As we walk down the hallway toward the front door I peek my head into the living room to find Archer still on the couch, now watching a basketball game on ESPN. I look back at Ellie to see that she's somewhat patiently waiting by the door for me to drive her home.

"Hey Arch!" I smile as grab Ellie and drag her into the living room behind me, positioning the both of us in front of the television. "Ellie's about to leave."

Archer doesn't bother to try to see around the both of us, shifting his gaze from the TV to the ground as he starts playing with the pillow in his hand. I have a death grip on Ellie's arm refusing to let her move from my side, although she tries. We stand there in silence, none of us saying anything for a few moments.

"But I was thinking, maybe you could give her a ride? I'm a little too tired to drive right now." I cover my mouth as I pretend to yawn, trying to make it as realistic as possible. "I wouldn't want to fall asleep on the road or something."

I ignore Ellie shooting daggers at me and instead study Archer closely. He looks uncomfortable, fidgeting incessantly with the lace dangling off the embroidered brown pillow in his hands. Every couple of seconds he lifts his hand to run it through his hair, shifting every wave into its designated place.

I duck down and try to force him to look me in the eyes. I'm not letting him get out of this situation. Maybe he can use this opportunity to apologize for his behavior earlier. Ellie clears her throat awkwardly, attempting to get my attention. 

"Kaiy, I can call my brother to come pick me up. You don't have to bother Archer." She whispers, although not so quietly that Archer can't hear. I'm tempted to take her up on her offer so that I can see Jeremiah for a little bit, but I push my own desires down, focusing on what's best for Ellie.

Archer finally looks up to make eye contact, but I'm not the one he's staring at this time; his brown eyes are locked onto Ellie's hazel ones. I don't dare speak a word, not willing to interrupt whatever is happening right now.

What seems like an eternity passes before Archer finally says something. "No, I can take you home."

He gets up from the couch and walks over to grab Ellie's duffle bag that is lying at her feet. The look on her face is guarded as she watches Archer walk from the room and down the hallway leading back to the kitchen. Once he is out of sight she turns to me with a fury lighting her eyes similar to the time I forgot to shut the front door at her house and her dog Shia got out. We spent upwards of five hours wandering the surrounding neighborhoods searching for Shia before we found her walking around a cul-de-sac a mile away. Ellie didn't talk to me for days after that.

"What the hell do you think you're doing?" She whispers furiously, ripping her arm out of my grasp and looking at the open doorway every couple of seconds to make sure Archer isn't standing there listening.

"What do you think I'm doing?" I whisper back, flexing my hand. "I'm being supportive and helping you step out of your comfort zone."

"I'm not the one that needs help in that area, Kaiydeen!" She hisses, the bite of her words causing me to take a step back.

She glowers at me for a few seconds more before sighing. Her face relaxes and for a brief second she looks afraid. "I know you're just trying to be supportive and all but I'm really not sure if I can do this right now." She finally admits, crossing her arms protectively over her chest.