*REVISED* Chapter Forty-three

"The recession in 2008 was resolved at the Bretton Woods Conference where numerous countries gathered together to enact policies that..."

I struggle to pay attention as Mrs. Holt drones on from the front of the classroom. I can feel eyes burning on the back of my head. I don't turn around to check who is staring. I already know who it is.

My eyes flit to the clock every few seconds, counting down the minutes until I am released from this Hellhole. Two minutes and 23 seconds, then I'm out of here. Two minutes and 19 seconds, then I can escape back to my room. Two minutes and 14 seconds, then my weekend starts.

Economics used to be my favorite topic. I would even stay after the bell and talk to Mrs. Holt about things I didn't want to question during her lecture, but not anymore. Not since a certain someone transferred into my class this semester.

"Okay class, we'll finish this lecture on Monday. Make sure to go over chapter 13 this weekend because there will be a quiz on the information sometime next week." Mrs. Holt pushes her hair behind her ear as she turns to start writing some reminders on the board. "Remember that midterms are this Wednesday, February 13th. Make sure you are prepared for the midterm review on Tuesday by looking over the study guide that was included in the syllabus."

The bell rings as Mrs. Holt finishes speaking. I quickly shove my notebook and pen into my bag and practically launch out of my seat. I'm through the door and rushing down the hall toward the stairs before the rest of the people in my econ class have begun to pack up their things. I take the steps two at a time dodging past all of my classmates loitering by their lockers. I burst out the doors leading toward the quad and speed walk down the sidewalk toward my dorm.

So far so good. A couple more minutes and I will be in the safety of my room.

"Running from someone?" I hear a voice call out from slightly behind me.

A shudder runs down my spine as I feel someone start walking beside me, matching my hurried pace with ease. I remain silent and keep walking, pretending I didn't hear him and don't notice him strolling next to me.

"If I didn't know any better I would think you were avoiding me." Charlie's arms swing next to mine, his jacket grazing hand with every couple of steps.

"I'm not avoiding you Charlie." I reply, although my pace doesn't slow in the least.

"Then why did you stop talking to me when school started?" He asks.

"Because if you aren't going to tell me what I need to know and answer my questions then there is no point in talking to you."

"You're still stuck on that." A dark chuckle escapes from Charlie's lips. "Well, you are a stubborn little thing aren't you?"

"Just go away, B," I huff, walking as fast as I can down the sidewalk toward the dorms.

"How can you keep avoiding me when we have two of the same classes this semester?"

"Hmm," I pretend to ponder as I glide to a stop in front of my dorm building. Charlie takes a couple steps forward so he is standing in between the door and me.

"Maybe like this?" I brush past him and swing open the door, but before I can walk inside I am pulled to a stop.

Charlie's hand tucks under my chin as he forces my head up so he can look me in the eyes.

"Can you please stop this?" He murmurs as he drops his head a little closer to mine. "I miss you."

I can't help but stare into his eyes as he leans in even closer.