Chapter 32-Escape

We were out. We had successfully reached Section 7's exit of the Maze. I sighed in relief, moving the hair out of my eyes and glanced at the others. They were scratched up a little bit, but so was it. They looked a little scared but also relieved.

          Chuck pushed the door open all the way, showing a white cement hallway with white pipes on the walls.

           All the Gladers stepped out, and looked around. Lights turned on, starting with the far left and making their way to the far right.

           "So...which way?" Winston asked.

           "Right," I replied.

            We all walked to the right, staying super silent. We reached a door with a green light next to it and an exit sign above.

          "Seriously?" Frypan asked, causing me to laugh.

          Thomas stepped forward, placed his hand on the handle, turned, and pushed open the door. He let go of the handle and the door opened, showing yellow sirens going off and dead people on the ground.

            We walked slowly down the hallway, glancing around.

             "What happened here?" Minho asked, moving a gun away from a person with his foot.

             "I don't know," Thomas replied.

             We kept walking down the hallway and found a lab...the exact same lab I worked in.

             We looked around, seeing smashed computer screens with pictures of the Glade and other variable choices the Creators could possibly send throw at us...if they were alive.

           Newt looked at the screens, looking angry and annoyed. "So they were watching us this whole time,"

          I looked at a screen and Thomas looked at one across from mine. That's where we worked. I can't believe that is where we worked almost three months ago.

            "Bloody hell!" Newt yelped, jumping back from a bunch of boxes stacked up in a corner of the lab.

            "What? What happened?" I asked, walking over to my brother.

           Newt didn't have to answer; I saw for myself. There was a girl with red hair and blue eyes hugging her knees in between two piles of boxes.

           "C-Chloe?" Newt spoke, his eyes full of remembrance.

           "N-Newt?" The girl spoke, still huddled in between the pile of boxes.

            "What the shuck is going on?" Chuck whispered. I shrugged.

            The girl got up and walked slowly towards Newt.

            "Is it really you?" The girl, I'm guessing Chloe, said.

            "Yes. Oh my god. I can't believe it's actually you," Newt said, bringing her into a hug.

              Thomas cleared his throat, getting Newt's attention. "Newt, do you care to explain what's going on?" He spoke.

               "Sorry guys. This is Chloe and some how I remember her. Before the Maze, we were a couple," Newt replied.

               "Even I don't remember that and I was the one who went through the Changing," I mumbled.

               "That's weird..." Chuck said. "But Bridgette and Thomas are my favorite OTP!"

                "Oh my god, Chuck," I said rolling my eyes at him.

                 "So, Chloe, why are you hiding between boxes?" Newt asked Chloe.

                 "I was sent into this Maze with probably 60 other girls and a boy named Aris. Thirty of us escaped except a girl named Rachael got shot. Everyone blamed me for it because Rachael got in front of the Aris who was going to get shot if it weren't for her. So I was forced to stay here and hide because they didn't want anyone else getting killed," Chloe answered.

            "Wait, you were sent to a Maze, too?" Minho asked.

            Chloe nodded.

            "So there is two Mazes, one with girls and one with boys? I'm lost," Frypan said.

            "Don't worry about it, Fry," I responded.

            We continued to look around the lab, a flashing button catching my eye. I pressed it and the lady who said "Wicked is good" popped up on a screen.

            "Hello. I am Dr. Ava Paige, founder of the World In Catastrophe: Killzone Experiment Department. I wish I could be there to congratulate you in person, but circumstances have seemed to prevented it. I'm sure you are all angry, confused, and frightened, but everything that's happened, everything we've done to you was done for a purpose," The lady spoke. Different pictures popped up on the screen. Fire, burning bodies, and death seemed to be in all. My eyes grew wide in fear.

          "You won't remember, but the Sun has scorched our world. Many families and cities were lost to fire and famine. But then something worse came. We called it the Flare," Ava Paige spoke. "It's a man-made virus that attacks the brain. It's effects are incurable, uncontrollable, and unpredictable. But there was hope. In time, a new generation arrived that could survive the Flare. Answers wouldn't come easy. The young would have to be tested or forced into harsh environments where their brain activity could be studied. It may be too late for you, for us," Ava Paige held a gun up to her head.

            "Just remember, Wicked is good,"