Chapter 28-The Changing

•Bridgette's P.O.V.•

I was only about five. I saw a memory, the memory where my father first started going insane. He was screaming and laughing as if everything was just a big hoax, nothing but a big joke or prank that was being played.

But there was something behind his eyes that made the five year old me know that it's wasn't just fun and games anymore. There was fear in his eyes.

He had tried killing my mother, and succeeded. He tried killing my brother, but I got in the way. I saw that whole argument, the whole "kill me!" problem, the whole screaming and laughing, the pain.

Newt and I never saw him kill our mother, but we what we heard was all we needed to know what was going on.

It was late at night, probably midnight or 1:00 AM, and I couldn't sleep so Newt decided to stay up with me. We both heard our mother screaming. We couldn't make out if she had said anything or if it was just a long "ah!".

But the screaming seemed to be silenced, and we heard the door to their room open. Soon the door to the room we were in opened, and only my father stood there.

"Where's mommy?" I had asked him.

He smiled and laughed in the doorway, replying. "Oh, she's just taking a very very long nap,"

He had killed her. He had strangled her. A week had passed and we didn't know what to do about our father. One day, he just cracked, literally crashing to the ground, then getting back up and marching towards Newt. He tried killing him, but the five year old me couldn't let that happen. So I jumped in the way, holding onto a stuffed animal (a pink teddy bear). Of course my father still hurt me, but somehow, we managed to save ourselves.

Wicked came the next day, taking us to there lab and giving us small tests.

I was only five.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The next memory that came back to me was the first test Wicked gave us. I was about seven, and I was in a solid white room with no doors. I was alone.

            But then Ava Paige came in the room, asking me questions. They were simple questions, like 'how old are you' and 'what's your full name'. Then she started asking self opinion questions, questions that included 'how do you feel about yourself' and 'what do you want to change'.

When my interview was over, Ava Paige brought a boy in the room and introduced me to him. His name was Thomas. And that's when I first met him.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

              The next memory was a lot more violent than I expected. I must've been at least 10, maybe 11. Wicked had given me some pretty unusual tests, and I had enough of it. I never escaped though. Then one day, Ava Paige gave me another test, she called it "The Final".

This test was very different than the other tests I took. I was forced into a room alone. Apparently, I was supposed to face my fears. The room was pitch black and the lights never turned on.

I heard a bunch of people talking in the room. They weren't real, I knew that, but it seemed real. This was only my first fear that I have to face.

The people kept talking, and I listened carefully to what they were saying.

"Shall we tell her?"

"No, I don't think we should,"

"But, he is her brother and she is his sister. Bridgette deserves to know what happened,"

"Do you think she'd want to hear it? Do you think she'd want to hear that her brother died because of her?"

Of course, I could've seen this coming. As the ten year old me, I had lost everything but my brother. So the number one fear that I had, was loosing him too.

This was torture. I had cried a lot of tears. This test had probably lasted a hour or so, and when the test was over, the door to the room opened, and Ava Paige walked in, turning on the lights.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The last memory was two years after Newt had been sent into the Maze. I was 14.

Thomas and I were working and Ava Paige came over to me. She told me that the other scientists didn't want to send me into the Maze because of my test scores.

She didn't say if they were too low or too high, but I guessed they were too low. I thought she was going to say "so you can leave Wicked now", but she didn't. She said "But I'm sending you into the Maze Trials anyway."