Chapter 27-Doors Won't Close

An hour had passed and the Doors didn't close. I probably had the time wrong because it was still sunny out.

But I was getting worried. It seemed we were gone a long time.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

It started getting dark, and the Doors didn't close yet. We had mapped the part we found today at least an hour ago.

"The Doors are gonna close, right?" I asked Thomas, getting really nervous.

"Uh...yea...the Doors will close," Thomas said, his voice pricked with nervousness.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The sun had already set and the Doors were still open. Most of the Gladers were in front of the only Doors open.

"Uh...the Doors haven't closed yet," Chuck said.

"Yea...we know..." Thomas said.

I gave a nervous glance to Thomas, who gave me a weak smile back. A loud sounding of grinding Doors sounded, scaring all of the Gladers. We glanced around, seeing another set of Doors had opened. We heard the grinding sound again a few seconds later, seeing another set of Doors open, and after a couple seconds the last set of Doors opened.

"Was it me or did all of the Doors just open?" Frypan said.

"Chuck, I need you to go to council hall and border up the doors," I said.

"Winston, you go with him," Newt said, and Winston nodded.

"Hey, Minho, Newt," Thomas whispered. "Go get some weapons,"

They both nodded and ran off. Thomas turned to me, scareness in his eyes.

"You ready to run?" He asked. I nodded.

"Okay! Everyone hide!" Thomas yelled, and every skattered. Gally and his annoying shank crew ran towards the Box, locking themselves inside. I glanced at the Doors, seeing two Grievers running towards us. Thomas and I sprinted into the gardens, hiding in the weeds. Zart and a couple other Gladers were with us. We heard the clicking of the Griever's legs. They sounded so loud and close, I was certain that we were all dead meat. I was panicking, panicking really really bad. I was almost killed by them...twice...I don't want to be actually killed by one. Thomas looked at me, giving me a reassuring smile.

"We will be fine," He mouthed to me. I calmed down a little bit, but then the famous whirl click whirl sounded closer than ever. We all looked around, and then I saw a claw that was right behind Zart.

"Zart! Look out!" I yelled, launching towards him, but the Griever was too fast and Zart was already gone. I was staring up at where Zart was taken, totally shocked at how fast people can be taken. A Griever jumped in front of me, scaring me so badly, that I fell backwards and landed on my back. Thomas helped me up, partially dragging me away. We soon were running towards the Homestead because the Leader was still there.

Alby was already outside the door of the Homestead with Jeff and Clint helping him.

"There here," Thomas said.

"Grievers?" Alby said, shocked and scared.

We nodded.

"Well let's go!" Alby said. We did as he said. We all ran towards the Council Hall, but a Griever blocked our path. It slowly crept towards us, making us move back.

"Get behind me," Thomas said, pushing me behind him. The Griever inched closer to us, and we would've been dead if it weren't for Newt, Minho, and Frypan. They got the weapons just in time.

The weapons stuck in the Griever, and gave us just enough time to escape. We ran into the Council Hall, locking the door behind us. The Griever disappeared for a few seconds, before climbing on the roof of the small building. It walked across the roof, and stopped. We all thought it was gone, but then it's metal claw broke through the roof and pulled the pole that supported the roof out.

It pushed half of us outside the Council Hall, and half of us inside.

"Is everyone alright?" I heard Newt ask.

We were all coughing, and terrified. Then out of nowhere, a metal claw came through the wall and grabbed Chuck.

"Chuck!" Thomas and I yelled, rushing towards him. We grabbed his arms and tried pulling him back in the Council Hall.

"Chuck, don't let go!" Thomas yelled over the screeching metal.

"No shit," Chuck yelled back.

The Griever's injector was an inch away from Chuck, and we couldn't get Chuck out of the Griever's grasp. Alby came running towards the Griever, ripping off the injector. Chuck fell onto the ground and the giant metal claw left. Chuck sat up, and looked at the injector Alby had tossed to him.

"Thanks Alby," Chuck said. Alby nodded. I heard the familiar metal sound and saw a claw behind Alby.

But before I could do anything, Alby was grabbed by the claw.

I grabbed his hand, trying to pull him back in the Council Hall, but the Griever had a better grip on the Leader.

"Bridgette, get them out," Alby said, and then he was gone.

I started running towards the door, not listening to anyone. I ripped open the Door, seeing the Glade destroyed and in fire. Thomas had followed me out, and then the other Gladers came. The Grievers had left.

"Where is everyone?" Frypan asked. We were all silent; we all knew where the Gladers were.

We saw someone walk through all the smoke, and we soon saw who it was: Gally. He marched right to me.

"Gally-" I started but I didn't finish because Gally punched me in the face.

The Gladers dragged him away from me and acted like a barrier.

"This is all you, Bridgette! This is all your fault!" Gally yelled.

I looked at Gally, then to the Griever's injector that laid in Chuck's hands, then back to Gally.

"Woah, Bridgette, don't you even think about it," Chuck said. "You're way better than that shank,"

"Chuck, give the injector to me," I said.

"No-" Chuck said, but I had already grabbed it out of his hands.

I looked at the metal tube in my hand. One tiny stab of this, and all of my memories would come back, but there was a good chance I would die. Well, goodbye life in the Glade.

I stabbed myself in the stomach, letting out an ear piercing scream, before falling to the ground, my eyes closing.