don't you go

When I woke up, I was still in my room. I could hear Hayley's heavy breathing, and I jumped up. I looked around, trying to figure out where it was coming from. There was a vent above my bed, and I figured it went to her room.

"Hayley?" I yelled. I stood up on my bed to get as close as I could. "Hayley, can you hear me?"

"Alex?" She yelled back. I could still hear her breathing. I couldn't understand why it was happening.

"You need to calm down! Slow your breathing!" I yelled. I made myself as tall as I could to get closer to the vent. "You're getting out, but you need to calm down!"

"I feel like I'm gonna puke," she said. She got really quiet, and I just froze and listened. "Ugh, there's blood everywhere. What happened to me?"

"You don't remember?"

"No clue."

"Well, um, it started with the back of your arm," I started. I couldn't see, but I assumed she was looking. "And then he slashed open your thigh. That look like it hurt so bad, and that wasn't even the worst part. After that, he just sent something straight through your stomach. And I had to watch it all."

She was silent on the other side. I wanted to punch the wall. I needed to feel her and see her, but I couldn't. "Hayley," I called. I pressed my ear against the wall. There was still nothing from her room. "Hayley!"

"Yep?" She finally called back.

"What's going on? Why weren't you responding?"

"I was checking it all out. I can't believe I don't remember that."

"I don't know what's going on, but I know you're getting out of here. I came up with a plan, and my parents are gonna help," I said. I hopped off the bed, and went over to the door. I started pounding my fists on it. "Tay!" I screamed.

Tay came in later with her arms crossed over her chest. She was in a leather jacket with her hair curled and her makeup done. I couldn't help but stare.

"What do you want, Gaskarth?" She said. I watched her pink lips form every word, and her eyes scan the room.

"I want you to hold up your end of the deal. Let Hayley go," I said. I had no idea what I was going to do, but I just needed Hayley to get out. I could probably work my way around Tay, but Hayley was completely helpless.

"Yeah right. I saw what little stunt you pulled. You put your stupid mom's pregnancy journals in the box," Tay snapped. I couldn't stop staring at her lips. I placed my hands on the sides of her face, and kissed her.

She put her hands on my forearms, and pushed me away. "Stop it," she said. She looked up at me through her big lashes.

"The journals are in there because they must have gotten mixed in."

"I'm not talking about that anymore. I'm talking about how much you love Hayley, yet you're hitting on me. You're so horny it's unreal," she spit at me. I couldn't peel myself away from her pink lips though. There was something about her that was so mesmerizing.

"I've got a soft spot for you, Jardine," I spoke. She raised her perfectly groomed eyebrows. She tilted her head back slightly as she looked me up and down. Her curly hair fell behind her shoulder.

"Let's get your girlfriend back into the real world so we can have sex," she decided. She turned around, and started out of my room. I was still standing there, trying to process what she said. She turned back around when she made it to the door. "Coming?"

I ran over to join her, and we went to Hayley's room. Hayley gave a confused look as Tay entered the room, but she ran over to me once she saw me. "Alex!" She yelled, and took off running. She threw her arms around me, and I almost fell back as she did.

I felt so guilty as I saw her. I didn't think sleeping with Tay would be that big of a deal, but it was hitting me now. I looked over at Tay as Hayley was hugging me. I'm sorry, I mouthed. Tay just shook her head, and looked away. Too much drama.

"We're getting you out of here, Hay," I whispered. I wrapped my arms around her back, and held her as close as I could. I knew this was gonna be the last time I held her. "You just gotta go with Tay."

"What about you?" Hayley asked as she pulled her head back to look at me. I felt horrible looking her in the eyes. I'd never felt this bad.

"I got you out. Just do me a favor and don't forget about me, okay?" I told myself I wasn't gonna cry, but I knew my voice was on the verge of cracking. I was about to sound like a little boy going through puberty. "I love you."

"Okay, let's wrap this up," Tay interrupted. She came over and grabbed Hayley's hand. She started pulling her off of me, but I kept my arms around her.

"I could never forget you. I love you more than anyone I've ever met," Hayley said quickly. I could see tears in her eyes as I let her go. Tay just kept hold of her wrist.

"One last thing between you two, Hayley's fingerprints were found on Jeremy Davis' murder weapon," Tay started. She snapped her head to look at Hayley. "That means there is a warrant out for your arrest. Have fun out in the real world."

Oliver came out of nowhere and took Hayley away. She was screaming for me, and I couldn't do anything. I gathered myself, and then looked over at Tay. She swallowed the lump in her throat.

"How touching," she commented, and then started out of the room. It was dead silent expect for the sound of her boots hitting the floor. She shut the door behind her, leaving me to inspect Hayley's bloody sheets.

I sat on Hayley's bed, and looked around as I thought about my choices. I slowly started to realize what I'd done. I slept with Tay, and now she couldn't die. I cheated on the love of my life, and sent her away.

I couldn't tell Tay. She could never know that she was now what she was hunting. All I could think now was: fuck. my. life.