Dear Lana

Walking along the beach I wiped the tears from my eyes cursing under my breath. Why did I have to be so damn pathetic? Dad was only trying to be funny but I had clearly taken it the wrong way. In the back of my mind I thought maybe I should have said nothing. Some things are better left unsaid.

Placing my hands in my jeans pocket I came across a piece of paper scrunched up. Pulling it out in confusion I then realized it was a letter with my name on it. I was unaware how it was even possible as they were my newest pair of jeans and only I had even touched them. Slowly opening it in confusion I stood still as I recognized the handwriting. It was my moms. I was tempted to throw it in the ocean but resisted beggining to read it out loud.

'Dear Lana, By the time you read this you are probably already with your father on Tybee Island. I am fully aware of how difficult it must be for you moving to an unknown area and spending time with a father you hardly know. But please I beg you to give him a chance and embrace these five weeks. Have time to connect and get to know him. It will be worth it. Me and your father split for a reason. But for whatever reason that is in no way were you held responsible. I love you dearly and am only trying to be the best mother I can be to you and Billy. Take care and have fun.- Love Mom'

I folded the letter and scrunched it back into my pocket. Mom was right. I was just too scared to admit it.

However I wasn't prepared to go back to the house just yet. The sun shone bright and ahead was a large crowd seated for a volleyball game. I headed down in hope of distracting myself from my dysfunctional family.