Task 1 - Shrieks of Vermillion Terrors (RQ)

Trees, towering high like mighty giants ready to crush with their feet, tangled roots would be the toes aimed to trip. Moss coated the trunks, legs, hanging down from branches like blankets. The air was filled with sweet smells, flowery scents that sent Reed spiraling for the source. Perhaps it came from deceptive fruits, dangerously beautiful plants, or perhaps it only came from the buckets of perfume and cologne that had drenched the tributes of these next games.

Reed peered around the corner, inching his way closer to the line. He regarded each tribute warily. There, that girl from Two, she was a mighty tigress lurking in the tall grass, waiting for the right moment to strike. Her orange dress was the matted fur. All that's missing is black stripes. Maybe a tiger lily would've suited her better.

He let his gaze jump over to One, Danelieux; now he was the king of the jungle, a lion. A dirty blond mane spread over the top of his head swiftly like a crown. Dandelions. I wouldn't have guessed by his name, or anything. Reed chuckled. Then he found Venenius. Another Career. A snake, a python, venomous. When the games started, he'd sink his teeth into unsuspecting tributes, poison rushing through too quickly for saving.

The rest of the Careers would be from Four, the deep creatures that swam through the winding rivers of the jungle. The girl, Amani, was an electric eel. She would roam mindlessly, only aiming for survival. Still, barely noticeable flashes of electricity flashed through her. There was no telling when she'd whirl on you and sink her jagged teeth into your skin. These Careers, they'd sting Reed. They'd try, anyway. But you can't sting what you can't see. I'm too quick, too sneaky. I'm small, I'm sweet. I'm like the poison dart frog. But don't touch me, because my poison will seep through your skin. I'm so excited! The biggest adventure, and it's real.

All the tributes up to six had been interviewed, and now they sat in a row of chairs set aside for those finished. The guy from Four --Carrot den?-- was nowhere to be found. Another Career, another animal. What kind? 

As he mulled over hundreds of possibilities, he didn't notice footsteps approaching. A hand landed on his shoulder and he jumped, spikes of discomfort digging themselves in his stomach. It stung. "Hey there, kiddo," Three said, "You're jumpy. Nervous?"

Reed craned to look at the guy. Hm...seems more like a sloth. Probably lazy. Slow. A bit hairy. Why does he have a caterpillar on his upper lip? He shook his head, shying away. 

"I'm Jack, but I'm guessing you knew that." Jack yawned, as if bored, but Reed saw his eyes dart down to his own for approval.

Reed shook his head again. "I didn't really care to memorize it. You don't seem like a threat."

Jack's laugh was a chortle, an annoying sound that made Reed's ears rattle. "Oh, you're a cute little thing. Funny, too." He pretended to wipe a tear from his eye.

I never liked sloths. Reed turned tail and walked away, leaving Jack to his own devices. "Okay, I'll see you later!" he hollered. Reed rolled his eyes. I wonder if there's anyone else here that stands a chance against the hunk of bravery that is me. I may be tiny, but this kitty got claws. Rawr.

Reed looked up just in time to see a figure marching towards him, too caught up in his own mind to notice the child. He was fuming, jaw clenched, lip curled in disgust. A panther. He slinks around like a panther in his dark suit, they won't see him when night falls. And then, he strikes. They collided, and Reed went crashing to the ground. "Oomph!" the man said, catching himself. "Watch yourself next time, kid," he growled.

Reed peered up at him from under his lashes. You're just as faulty as I am. Next time someone'll have a sword in their hand and you'll impale yourself.