Chapter 22: Threat

*(Y/N)'s P.O.V*

With the warmth coming from the forest fire, the sun already set. We had cleared out the walkers anywhere near us with the fire, and the forest fire provided enough light for us to be able to see. We decided that it would be safe enough for us to stay here.

We kept a safe enough distance so we wouldn't get burned and wouldn't suffocate on the smoke. But close enough for us to be warm and we were able to see well enough. I wiped deep grey ash from my forehead with the back of my arm with a deep breath.

A few of the group were over by the fire, the fish we had caught was impaled on the edges of a stick and held in the fire to roast them. There was enough for everyone, in fact there was more than enough. Though it all needed to be eaten tonight, we didn't have a fridge to keep them fresh. They would rot.

At least it would provide full bellies, instead of half full. Most of the group were laughing and excited about having a good meal. After a good few minutes the fish were ready, and placed on a few conveniently found banana leaves "there's plenty for everyone! You can have seconds or thirds! So dig in!" Mark grinned.

I grabbed a fish, it's scales tinted golden. Steaming and smelling absolutely mouth watering, I sunk my teeth in, closing my eyes and letting out a deep sigh as the crunch sounded in my ears. Crunchy on the outside and soft on the inside, it was too good.

We munched on the fish, spitting out bones onto the floor, we chatted and laughed happily. It was strange, after so much running. So much killing. So much fear. To sit here, next to a fire, to laugh and to eat. To just relax, it didn't feel normal, not anymore.

The odd feeling left me to wonder, if we somehow managed to end this. To cure this virus, if all of this ended, would we even be able to go back to how things were? Would I ever be able to sleep without a gun under my pillow? Will I ever be able to walk into a house without tapping against the wall to see if a walker would jump out?

Will I ever be able to walk down the street without glancing over my shoulder ever few seconds? My chewing slowed as I lowered the fish, glancing towards the ground. I took a deep breath and wiped my mouth with the back of my hand.

I shook my head and sighed 'this is a happy moment, don't spoil it' I thought to myself. Lifting the fish back up to my lips I glanced upwards, only to notice Cry. Sitting opposite me, had his lips pursed and his head turned in my direction, staring at me.

I rose a brow and tilted my head to the side, lowering the fish slightly so my lips were in view "What?" I mouthed. With his mask lifted up to reveal his mouth while he ate, I could see the corners of his lips tug up slightly "nothing" he mouthed in response - shaking his head.

I shrugged lightly and bit into the side of the fish again, hesitantly lowering my eyes from him nervously. I could still feel his eyes on me, though somewhat unnerving I attempted to ignore it. Of course I felt rather nervous under his gaze, hiding my mouth with the fish so he wouldn't see my mouth tugging up.

I turned my head away, quickly engaging myself in small talk with Sean (Jacksepticeye for those of you who didn't know). I glanced to the side at him occasionally, with a sigh of relief I saw that Felix had thrown an arm around him and was currently distracting the masked male.

The fire wouldn't go out for quite a few hours yet, and since we were already well into the night it almost ensured that we would be warm until sunrise. I glanced around at the darkened road "have those cars been looted yet?" I questioned, gulping down the fish meat.

Mark, who had been seated next to Sean shook his head "not yet, we were all too worried about you". I bit my lip and glanced down at the fish "yeah...sorry about that".

I sputtered as I was granted a large slap on the back, Jack closed his eyes and grinned  "don't you worry (N/N) (Nick name), you saved our lives. You have no reason to apologize". I returned his smile and nodded, with a sigh I glanced over at the raging fire. It's only a matter of time until the fire burns out and this security we have now is gone.

We must prey for today, for who knows if tomorrow is going to come?