Love and Lies

Chapter 7

"You let them escape?"

"I'm sorry boss. I'll get the three of them back, I swear!" The man's voice was small and panicky compared to his boss's loud, scratchy voice.

"You have failed to retrieve the required information. Get the men and bring them to me immediately!"

"Yes sir. Right away." And without another word, the man was off.

Sherlock lay on his sofa staring intently at the ceiling. John possessed by a demon? Utter nonsense! Logic denies any true evidence of demonic possessions. But his eyes.... They felt icy and dark, and I just can't shake the feeling that something is off inside that small head of his. The sound of the front door opening and closing echoed through the flat. John ran up the stairs and entered the room.

"Hello Sherlock." Sherlock didn't reply, but continued staring at the ceiling. John ignored his silence and walked into the kitchen. He looked down at the lock to make sure the cabinet was still sealed

"You didn't touch this, right Sherlock?"

"Hmm? Oh, that. No I haven't." Sherlock lied.

"Wonderful." Said John, although he wasn't completely convinced.

"So John, are you feeling all right? I haven't seen you all day."

"Oh I'm fine. In fact, I'm just about to leave." He started for the door when Sherlock stopped him.

"Wait, John." John shut his eyes and sighed.

"What is it now, Sherlock?" He said tiredly. Sherlock got up and walked to John. Now what do I say to him? I know you're possessed? I need a way to prove this is the real John. They stood face to face in silence. Sherlock grabbed John's wrist, leaned over to him, and kissed his lips. They felt cold, yet soft. Sherlock backed away, shocked at what he just did, waiting for John's reaction.

"Well that was odd." John said. "Like I said, I'm going out. I'll see you some time tomorrow." And with that, he left the room as if nothing happened. Sherlock's heart sank. This isn't John. It can't be. But a demon? It's simply impossible. This just doesn't make any sense. Sherlock grabbed a cup sitting on the table and threw it as hard as he could at the opposite wall. What have they done with my John? He thought as he sat on a nearby chair. Wait a second, did I just kiss him? Where did that come from? And why did I enjoy it? Maybe I just hoped that there was some part of John still there. A tear fell from Sherlock's eye. He burrowed his eyebrows in anger.

"Stop it, Sherlock." He lifted a finger up and wiped off the tear. There's anger and confusion, but mostly sorrow. Sherlock buried his face deep in his hands and sobbed. He cried in silence hoping that John will return. Hoping that John is okay and safe. Sherlock lifted his head. His eyes were red and puffy and his cheeks were streamed with tears. In a small whisper he said, "I miss my blogger."