The Return

"Doctor?"

"Doctor, please say something." The Doctor was gasping, his eyes darting around the room.

"Someone get him some water," River barked. Jack ran to the kitchen soon returning with a dripping cup. River propped the Doctor up and gently pressed the glass to his lips. The Doctor's eyes focused on River's face as he swallowed the water. Everyone held their breaths as they watched the Time Lord. The eerie silence and mounting tension filled the room.

"Hello, Sweetie," the Doctor weakly muttered, a soft smile on his face. River let out a laugh and threw her arms around him. Everybody breathed a sigh of relief, except Dean. He burrowed his eyebrows and searched the room for Castiel, who was nowhere to be seen. Dean pushed his way into the hall and spotted the angel sitting with his back to the wall.

"Hey Cas, you alright?" Dean said as he joined his friend. Castiel's face was a hue lighter than normal, and his eyes seemed deep and sunken.

"Yes Dean. I guess I wasn't as strong as I thought," Cas murmured, "but I'll be alright." Dean turned his head just slightly to get a better view of the angel. Even when he looked awful, he was beautiful. Innocence glowed in his eyes, despite the hell they had seen. His strong chin always coated with stubble, yet the rest of his face seemed so smooth. And his soft lips, gentle yet strong, calling out to Dean. Castiel was a paradox, endlessly drawing Dean's attention. Dean shut his eyes and brushed his lips on Cas's rough cheek.

"You're truly amazing Cas." Dean leaned back against the wall. Too bad I don't deserve you.

.

"I am absolutely starving," whined the Doctor. He opened the cabinet and cringed in disgust. "What is this?" He pulled out a can of baked beans.

"It's food. I thought you were hungry?" Clara asked, arms folded.

"Beans are evil. Bad, bad beans," the Doctor mumbled to himself.

"Well Cas made another food run. We have some bacon in the fridge. I can fry some up if you-"

"Bacon? Are you trying to poison me?" The Doctor desperately swung open the fridge, scanning for an edible food. "Yogurt, no. Bread, never with butter. Carrots, no. Aha!" He grabbed a tub of custard and caressed it joyfully. "You wouldn't happen to have any fish fingers?" Clara gave him a questioning look then opened the freezer while the Doctor hugged his custard.

"Here you go." She handed him a frost covered box. The Doctor eagerly began to cook them. The old stove reluctantly heated up while Clara cleaned a cobweb-encrusted plate. She made a face at the mess and nearly dropped the plate when a spider crawled out from underneath. When the Doctor's meal was complete, he dipped the stick into the shiny, yellow custard. Both the Doctor and Clara seemed disgusted.

"How can you eat that?" Clara asked, her face turning pale.

"How indeed! These are chicken fingers, not fish fingers," the Doctor said sadly. John strolled in with an empty water bottle and began refilling it.

"Hey John, have you ever had fish fingers and custard?" Clara asked jokingly as the Doctor began drinking the custard. John let the water fill the bottle until it overflowed.

"Can't say I have," John said absentmindedly. "Clara, would you mind giving the Doctor and I a moment?" Clara nodded and glanced at the Doctor as she left. John took a seat and cleared his voice. "Doctor," he paused and noticed the custard coating the Doctor's upper lip. "I was wondering if you could possibly, um, fly Sherlock and I back to London." The Doctor rose an eyebrow and lowered his bowl. He leaned back in his wooden chair so it only stood on two legs.