Hope

I lay on the solid concrete floor, praying death would save me from the hellish nightmare I found myself stuck in. No-one would ever find me and it would just be a matter of weeks before my own starvation ended my life. Suffering would scratch at my limbs, burn my stomach and faze my mind. I couldn't bear another day of insanity, hunger, and pain. I desired the night in which I would close my eyes to sleep and they would never open and that I would never have to wake to gray walls and beatings.

The steel door swung open and the man stood tall, towering over me as he always would. On occasion I would beg him to stop, or try to avoid his punches aimed at my weak body. This time, however, I was determined to have my way.
The dominant male lunged at me, but I rolled to the side and stood up quickly. My kidnapper's eyes widened in shock, irises darkening with anger like a teased bull. My knees trembled with fear, legs threatening to give way beneath me. This time I had made him mad and surely he would kill me. I was counting down the seconds in anticipation, saying my last hateful goodbyes to the world.

"Fucking bitch" he spat and in a matter of seconds he had pinned me against the wall, punches aimed at my chest and stomach. His actions only got stronger, the pain increasing and a blood curdling scream erupted from my lungs. I felt my ribs being crushed, his grip on my neck getting tighter and tighter. My breathing was becoming limited, lungs deprived of oxygen.

Past the body of the muscled man beating me, and down the hallway, I could see the clear blue sky, decorated with small patches of white. The corners of my lips rose, a faint smile appearing on my face as I admired the beautiful view.

The abuse came to a halt, the devil giving me a look of pure confusion in response to my change in emotion so suddenly, obviously confused as to why I was experiencing joy in a moment of such pain.

As the man leaned in to punch me again, I lifted my knee and kicked him hard in the crotch, a sudden adoration for the universe swaying my confidence. My neck was released from the strong grip and I took a large intake of breath. The man swore and bent over in pain and I hurriedly grabbed the rag from the floor beside me, my chest throbbing as I did so. The man hadn't noticed me, and with an idea in my mind I brought the rag to his head, tying it around his neck. His hands grabbed mine in attempt to stop me but I stomped him in the crotch again and he let go. I pulled the ends of the rag tightly, the man's face turned purple, his mouth opening and closing like a goldfish.

With hope starting to rise within me, my focus becoming temporarily distracted, the male lifted his arm, connecting it with mine and pulling me down on the ground beside him. He gasped for air when the rag loosened from his neck and fell to the floor innocently.

I shook my head in disbelief, my hope fading and heart sinking. But then I noticed, down in front of the door was a small plate with some bread on it, a glass with murky water on the side. I had another idea.

As the man tried standing up, I scrambled backwards to the door and picked up the plate. I let the bread fall to the ground but before I could make my move, strong hands gripped my hair and pulled me up to face the devil himself. I screamed in pain and made eye contact with the figure holding all dominance, his yellow teeth being displayed as he chuckled at my expression. He let me go, laughing at me lying hopelessly on the ground again.

He lunged down at me once more but I stood and in one quick motion, smashed the plate hard on his head, pieces of the multi-coloured china flying in every direction.  He fell to the ground in front of me, eyes shut.
I frantically stood up before locating the rag and tightened it around his neck once more, this time pulling it harder and faster in case he became conscious. Within seconds, when it appeared he had stopped breathing, I stood back, heart thumping uncontrollably in my chest.

I was alive.