Late Promises

Darcy’s P.O.V

My arms ached with any slight contact, but I couldn’t stop. I was completely addicted to the feeling of the blade run over my skin. It was a release that somehow managed to clear my mind and rid my thoughts of Dan or my kidnapper.

It was around two in the morning and I hadn’t gotten any sleep. The image of Dan earlier that day wouldn’t leave my head, sending shivers down my spine each time the image of his eyes was remembered. Every time I tried to close my eyes and sleep, all I could see was Dan and he wouldn’t go away. I was constantly petrified that he would barge into my room and hurt me, threaten me further.

After another hour of playing games on my phone in the dark, my eyes were drooping and everything was blurry. I decided to go wash my face and maybe get a drink. Once out of bed and at the door of my room, I twisted the doorknob with caution. My heart was beating but it calmed when I noticed the living room light was still on so I wasn’t in the dark. As I stepped out of my room, I heard something odd coming from Dan’s room. I stopped in my tracks, my full concentration on what I had heard. Suddenly I heard it again, louder, and I recognised it as a female’s voice. I placed my hand over my mouth, equally from shock and fear that my breathing was too loud. Then I heard it again and not only was it a woman’s voice, but a moan. Was Dan…having sex? I gulped but the moans continued, getting faster at times and when they did, I could faintly hear Dan too. I wanted to vomit.

After a few seconds, I took my hand away from my mouth and decided not to go into the bathroom in case Dan heard something as it was beside his room. Instead, I headed straight towards the lit up kitchen and living room.

“Is he keeping you up too?” A voice asked, causing me to jump with fright and clutch my heart as my pulse had doubled in speed. Phil was sat alone on the couch, drinking presumably tea from his favourite mug. I couldn’t tell Phil why I was really awake, so instead I just nodded and sat beside him.

“I didn’t know he had a girlfriend” I said, more so asking then stating. Phil shook his head.

“He doesn’t, and I’m quite disgusted really. He has never done this before, and if he has it was at the other person’s house not here. It’s been going on for at least an hour and I don’t want to disturb him but I can’t get any sleep.” I nodded, the sick feeling returning in my stomach.

“I’m really sorry Darcy, he is usually so caring and respectful. I think that he is just stressed and feeling a bit ignored, I mean, if he were to stop acting so selfish I would probably do more things with him” I felt marginally guilty. Was I ruining their friendship? Was Dan doing all of his on purpose, just to get rid of me?

“It’s not your fault Darcy, he is the one doing this to himself. I think that maybe once he realises you are a good person, he will stop acting so childish” I didn’t think it was possible but Phil was partially right. I hadn’t done anything wrong so if Dan wanted to act like a spoilt child, that was his problem not mine.

Phil and I sat in silence from then on, the moans continuing but Phil eventually turned the lights off and I fell asleep in his embrace. I was safe knowing Phil was there with me.

~the next morning~

“YOU ABSOLUTE DICK!” I heard a female’s voice yell from the front door.

“DON’T BLAME THIS ON ME YOU BITCH!” I heard Dan yell and I opened my eyes to see the front door slam shut and Dan standing there in his boxers. I was still lying on Phil and once Dan turned around, I closed my eyes quickly and heard him mutter something before there was a loud smashing noise and heavy stomping finished with the slam of Dan’s door. I opened my eyes again and heard Phil mutter a “wow” under his breath. I glanced over at the kitchen and luckily all that had broken was an empty glass.

“You okay?” Phil asked.

“Yeah” I responded, too shocked to say anything else.

Phil helped me up and I had to be careful, making sure my sleeves didn’t roll up.

“It’s only eight, wanna go out for breakfast?” I smiled over at Phil who was rubbing his eyes.

“Yeah” I said again. Before I could move, Phil was walking over towards me and wrapping his arms around me.

“It’s fine Darcy, I will talk to him later don’t worry”

“Okay, thanks Phil” I muffled into his chest. If only Phil had promised me that before he left….