The Devil's Stone Heart

Darcy’s P.O.V

Trying to stay as quiet as possible, I started making my breakfast. I made eggs, not feeling I should use Dan’s cereal. I couldn’t help my eyes from trailing back to Dan every few seconds, having a constant anxiety that he would wake up. As I took the eggs off the stove, placing them on a clean plate, I heard Dan yawn and I watched him stretch his arms out. As he opened his eyes I looked away, pretending not to notice him. I turned the oven off and opened the cutlery draw, taking out a knife and fork.

“Why the fuck are you waking me up at nine in the morning?” Dan groaned, his croaky morning voice sending shivers down my spine. I gulped.

“I-I’m sorry I didn’t kn-“Dan cut me off as he got up from the couch and walked into the kitchen, glaring at me the whole way. He stood in front of me, eyeing up the plate of eggs before taking it from me and grinning.

“Thanks maid” He said and smirked before turning away and sitting back where he had previously been. I felt the anger rise in me. Why did I have to have feeling for the most arrogant, annoying and selfish man on the universe?

“I’m not your bloody maid and that was mine” I said back, no longer being able to control my anger towards him. Dan looked up at me just as he was about to eat a forkful. He raised an eyebrow as if he had just been challenged.

“True, you’re not a maid because you’re fucking useless. And I don’t care if it was yours, its mine now” He answered back, the evil smile never leaving his face. I knew that he was just trying to piss me off, and it was working. But If I were to anger him too much, he would no longer be acting horrible for that reason, he would have reasons to hate me. I bit my lip hard, trying to hold back any snarky remarks.

“Why don’t you just piss off now, I don’t want you near me” He said, grabbing the TV remote and turning the TV on. Some cartoon started playing and Dan seemed strangely amused by it. I sighed. If I was so ‘annoying’ then why couldn’t he just say nothing instead of insulting me? It wasn’t like I was TRYING to irritate him.

“You’re such an ass” I admitted, grabbing a banana and an apple whilst wiping a tear that had trailed down my cheek.

“Well you’re a bitch. An anorexic, ugly bitch” He retorted. It was then that I realised just how cold hearted he was. Tears were running freely down my cheeks, I knew he wouldn’t look back at me, he was too busy concentrating on whatever show it was on the TV. I tried containing my sobs, not wanting to make any obvious noises.

“Fuck off” He added. I breathed out shakily, my breathing becoming quick and random. I collected my breakfast, not wanting to be near the devil any longer, and ran to my room.