Buying Lies

Darcy’s P.O.V

Staying isolated in my room after the awful news was worse than before the police woman had come over as not only was I depressed, I was also scared and anxious. But on the morning Phil was scheduled to arrive back in the country, I could hardly contain my happiness. I knew as soon as he was back, all the darkness would fade away as much as possible. Phil was so comforting and loving, I would feel safe and wanted again. He cared about me, which was something I was desperate for and didn’t receive from Dan during the week.

‘Just left the airport, c u soon’

I read Phil’s last text aloud, not caring one bit if Dan heard me. That morning I had cleaned the kitchen again as Dan’s masses of dirtiness had once again taken over the entire room. I could tell that Dan wasn’t much of a cook, he had only been eating junk food this whole time. When Phil was home we would have homemade meals nearly every day, I would try to help as much as possible.

I twiddled my thumbs, re-reading the message again and again for no particular reason.

Come on Phil, come on Phil.

I sat on the living room couch and my impatience was starting to get out of hand. Not to mention I was terrified of Dan walking in and yelling at me. That boy was awful but despite how scared I was of him, my feelings never seemed to reduce in the slightest. He was just so attractive and charming. I wasn’t how that was even possible.

I was drawn away from my thoughts as the front door clicked open and I jumped up from the couch and sprinted towards Phil who stood at the door.

“Phil!” I screamed as I hugged him, persuading myself I would never have to let go.

“Darcy, I missed you so much” Phil’s grip comforted me, unknowingly assuring me that I was once again safe.

“I missed you too” I muffled into his chest. I felt Phil release one hand from around me to shut the door whilst still keeping me in his embrace. I squeezed tighter as he walked me towards the living room, leaving his bag by the door. As we reached the couch, Phil released his grip around me before sitting on the couch. I joined him quickly, snuggling against him again.

“So how has this week been?” Phil asked, and I spoke what I had recited so many times in my head, not waning him to become suspicious and think something was wrong, which there was. I did not want to confront him about Dan, Phil wouldn’t never believe me anyway, he would become angry that I would lie about such a thing.

 “The police visited with information on the case-“Phil cut me off before I could say anything else.

“I know. The called me too. I’m sorry, I know they will catch him though, and until they do so or you feel comfortable leaving, you can stay here” My grip around Phil tightened for a short moment before I finally let go, not wanting to bring up Dan’s rule from the day I moved into the apartment.

“So how has Dan been?” As soon as he asked that my heart literally sank, of course he would bring Dan up. Surely he could ask Dan himself, none the less I had to give an answer.

“Good, we didn’t really talk too much. Dan stayed in his room the whole time while I just pondered around. I mainly just watched TV and sketched alot” Phil smiled, obviously buying the lies I was telling.

“Great! Well tomorrow we can go grocery shopping and do some fun things to make up for your boredom” I clapped my hands together excitedly, happy that my life was no longer as dark as it had been.