Devil in the Flesh

Darcy's p.o.v

With Dan's hand holding mine firmly, we made our way into the intimidating building awaiting us. Phil was behind us, locking the car doors and adjusting the suit he was ordered to wear. Today was important.  I was meeting the man who had kept me locked in that room for so long. I was getting the justice I deserved and finally, everything would be perfect. Not the slightest worry would be left in my life. I would be free.

But there was still the doubt he wouldn't be imprisoned. Still a chance he might escape, or find where I live. Still the constant worry of him hurting me again. The torture. The pain.

I felt my breathing become unsteady and I felt nauseous. I was shaking, and I could hardly walk, my knees wobbling beneath me.

"Darcy? Darcy are you alright? You're pale and shaking!" Dan announced and was quick to sit me down on a chair in the reception of the giant building.

"Do you need water? A doctor? "I shook my head and Dan grabbed my hand, squeezing it lightly before kissing my head. I breathed in his scent and closed my eyes for a moment. All my troubles thoughts ran away and I stopped shaking, I knew Dan was with me. He would never let anything happen to me again.

"I'm fine now, sorry, just a bit nervous but it's fine. I'm okay as long as you are with me" I opened my eyes and Dan was smiling down at me, our hands still intertwined.

"Are you sure? We can just sit here for a moment if you want?" I shook my head and laughed, standing up and brushing the invisible dust of the bottom of my dress.

"No I'm ready. I have to do this" I said sternly and dragged Dan down the hall with Phil who had waited patiently for us and asked the lady at the front desk for directions.

"This way" A security guard said and opened two doors for us to enter. The room was square and surrounding the stage in the centre was chairs, all facing the middle. A few sophisticated men and women with briefcases and clipboards waddled around us, one of which greeted us and led us to our seats, only a few meters distance from the stage. Never letting go of Dan's hand, we made our way to our designated seats and sat down quickly.

I was ready.

This would all go perfectly.

I had nothing to worry about.

"I'm so proud of you" Dan whispered in my ear and I nodded, smiling at him before watching the room fill with people. A few of which gave us strange looks, obviously not realising this whole case was based on me.

After a few boring yet anxious minutes, the judge entered the room and ranted for 20 minutes about the background of my case. Pictures were shown and a few people whispered and gasped.

"David Terry Johnstone, the man fitting the description that Darcy has provided was recorded as visiting the hospital after receiving a strangling days after Darcy escaped. He faked an identity and address. But with the hospitals help, we managed to track him and three days ago the police arrested him at a gas station late at night. Here he is" The judge introduced him and I felt my stomach churn and Dan squeezed my hand whilst Phil grabbed my other and held it just as firm. I tried to calm my nerves but I was cut off when a man in a blue jumpsuit was guided into the room.

It was him.

It was the man who kidnapped me.

It was the man who turned my life into living hell.

Two guards stayed by both his sides and pushed him into his seat beside the judge where he showed no emotion other than hatred. That same devilish look he made when beating me. The longer I looked at him, the more I felt like vomiting. Crying. Screaming.