Almost There

My chest, stomach and head were throbbing, pain rippling through my muscles. I clenched my teeth together in attempt to force myself through my suffering sanely. I knew I had many broken bones, but the sight of my unconscious kidnapper made me so delighted that I didn’t worry about my physical state, despite the excruciating pain.
After picking up the previously ignored bread and eating it, then drinking the water, I wrapping the rag around me and left the concrete room, with no intentions of ever returning. I braced myself for freedom. I grinned subconsciously as I reached the front door of the apartment, my eyes scanning my surroundings. Every wall was covered in masses of graffiti, windows smashed and litter being carried by the light wind through alleyways. I sighed disappointedly, being held back from the freedom I longed to taste. But the fresh air cooling my face and blowing my hair to the side made me no longer feel as though I was a hostage. I no longer felt that my life was worth ending.

I carefully made my way down the many metal stairs, counting my steps in attempt to distract myself from the agony throughout my body. The throbbing in my head suddenly became unbearable and I quickened my pace, a strong desire burning inside me to make great distance from the prison I was held captive in, worried of falling unconscious in such a run down area.

I reached the end of the staircase and followed the sound of cars in the near distance, trying to avoid treading on glass as I had only bare feet.

The pain located nearly everywhere on my body was becoming significantly stronger with every movement I made and as I struggled around a brick wall my legs trembled uncontrollably. I slowly came face to face with yet another abandoned alleyway, the sounds of civilisation being excruciatingly close.

Suddenly a sharp sting in my chest caused me yelp and my vision blurred. I scrambled forward and attempted to scream for help but I found myself falling, head banging against a solid surface before I blacked out entirely.