Chapter 22

Tanner's POV

Waking up, I notice Luna isn't right beside me. Quickly getting out of bed, I look around the room. She wasn't in the room, nor was she in the bathroom.

"Luna, where are you?"

"Your mom came up and asked if I wanted breakfast. Of course I said yes. She is in the kitchen making some chocolate chip pancakes while I am sitting at the counter."

"Oh. Okay."

I head down and find her exactly where she said she was. I go up behind her and hug her, kissing her cheek. She smiles and turns, giving me a peck on the lips. Smiling, I look over to see my mom giving me a weird look.

"Everything okay mom?"

"Yeah. I just didn't know everything was okay with you too. You upset her a lot when you walked out without an explanation."

"Yeah. I know. I felt really bad, but I didn't want to do anything she wasn't ready for."

"I know. I just hope she understands that now. And mister, do not block her out. That is wrong. You can walk out, but don't block her out."

"Got it mom."

"I mean it!"

"I know."

Looking down at Luna, I see her smiling up at me. I smile at her and kiss her forehead. She smiles. My mom soon puts two plates in front of us with pancakes on them. Luna squeals and digs in. When my mom walks away, she stops eating.

"Aren't you going to eat?"

"No honey. I think I am going to visit Carroll."

"Oh. Okay. Have fun."

"I will sweetheart."

She walks out and Luna looks up at me with a curious look. She knows that the smile on my mother's face was forced. I sigh and know it is a tough time for my mom right now.

"My father died about this time. The actual day is tomorrow, but she sort of just loses her happiness during this whole week."

Her eyes soften and she looks up at me. "I can understand why. I mean, I would probably mope around all month if I lost you. I don't know what I would do without you. I can't even imagine what it would be like to lose you. That must be unbearable."

"Yeah. She was pretty bad after she lost him. It was like she was here, but yet she wasn't. It was only a shell of her. I had to take over with the help of Carroll. Mom slowly came back to us, but we knew she just had to sort of work through it on her own. We did comfort her a lot though."

"Would it make it worse if I said I was sorry?"

"Maybe, but maybe you could just let her know you care. Maybe give her a hug or something."

She nods and slowly continues to eat her breakfast. I do as well and by the time I was done, she was only on her third. She looks at me and mumbles something under her breath about fast eaters and I just chuckle.

"Lun, you're fine."

"I know I am. You just eat so dang fast and it makes me feel like I'm a super slow eater."

"So you want me to eat slower?" I wasn't quite sure where she was going with this.

"No. Yes. Maybe. I don't know okay?"

"Okay. It's okay."

I hug her and put my cheek on top of her head. "Lun, are you okay?"

"I don't know. I am so emotional and I don't like it. Ugh! hate you for putting me through this."