thirty-five

Harry stares down at the tracks, and suddenly feels a wave of panic. What is he doing? He can't leave Zayn!

He steps away from the edge, and pulls out his phone. He stares down at Zayn's contact, and realises for the first time that Zayn put a kiss emoji next to his name when he put his number in. Harry smiles, and wipes a tear from his cheek. This was stupid. He's going home.

With one last look at the shaking train tracks, he sighs, and jogs up the stairs to the street. He smiles at the stale air that hits his face, and takes a deep breath in through his nose. He feels strangely... euphoric. Invigorated. Like he is a survivor.

And it dawns on him that in a way, he is a survivor. He's struggled for years with crippling depression and anxiety, and he's almost died as a result more than three times.

Harry sighs, and hails a taxi. The ride back to his flat consists of Harry humming a song he hardly knows, and the cabbie talking about one of his many children.

When Harry gets to his building, he counts each step up the stairs, but it's wrong. It's fifteen, instead of fourteen. He jogs down the stairs and quickly comes back up, and this time, it's fourteen again. He lets out a relieved sigh, and knocks on his own door, realising he forgot his key when he left. "Zay-"

Zayn throws open the door, and chokes out a sob when he sees Harry. "Oh my god. I thought you were dead. Oh my-"

Harry wraps his arms around Zayn, and presses a warm kiss to his forehead. "I'm so fucking sorry, Zayn. I'll never try it again."

Zayn tightens his grip around Harry, and doesn't even try to wipe away his tears. "You can't just do that to me! I-I can't live without you, Harry."

"Shh, it's alright, Zaynie. I'm here. I'll never leave you again. I'm so, so sorry. I thought it was the only way out. But I know better now. All I need is you."

Zayn nods, and presses a quick kiss to Harry's jawbone. "I love you. I forgive you. Can we go to bed? I'm tired."

Harry chuckles at how purely adorable Zayn is, and brushes a strand of his black hair away from his eyes. "Aw, is Zaynie sleepy?"

Zayn giggles, and nods. "Yes. Are you ready for bed?"

Harry leads Zayn to the nearly empty bedroom, and tucks him into bed. As Harry turns away to get a glass of water from the kitchen, Zayn clears his throat. "Um, no. I can't leave you alone right now. You're too important, and you're too much of a risk."

Harry pouts, but nods in understanding. "Alright. That makes sense. I deserve that."

Zayn frowns. "No, Harry, it's not a matter of deserving anything, it's just that in a way, you've broken my trust, so I need to be extra cautious now. I'm not mad, don't get me wrong. I'm not mad at all. Just so happy to see you again. Now, come to bed. I want to cuddle."

-

YAY !  REJOICE !   HARRY IS ALIVE AND FOR THE MOST PART, WELL !!!!!

:-)