Chapter 48

Ending of last chapter:

I press our lips together briefly. "Do you have your vows planned out and ready to go?", I ask.

"Well, yes and no. I have a general idea of what I want to say, but I haven't planned it out in detail because I'm just going to wing it," he replies.

I laugh. "You're going to wing it and they'll still be better than mine."

He chuckles. "That may be true, but you're going to look much better than me, everyone's going to forget what I say because they'll be so focused on you."

I roll my eyes, repeating what I said before. "Yeah right."

****

"Effie, I swear to God, if you go in there-"

"I'm going in there whether you want me to or not! It's time for them to get up!"

"Just let them sleep, woman! It's not all that goddamn important for them to be up yet!"

The door then bursts open, Effie chanting, "Up, up, up! It's a big, big, big day today!"

Peeta and I start awake, not expecting to be woken up by Effie this morning. I look around in bewilderment before realizing what had happened.

"I tried to get her to let you guys sleep but she wouldn't listen," Haymitch grumbles.

Peeta yawns. "That's alright. I'm sure we would've woken up soon anyway."

"See, Haymitch?", Effie retorts, "I told you it wasn't a big deal."

"Yeah, yeah whatever. Let's just go and give them time to wake up," Haymitch says impatiently with a flap of his hand.

"Fine! But if they're not downstairs in exactly three minutes-," she breaks off for a moment before continuing. "Katniss!", Effie screeches. "You need to get up! We don't have time for you to sleep anymore! It's time to get up!"

"I. Am. Up," I say monotonously, attempting to keep my patience with her this early in the morning.

Peeta's hand rubs my back over the blanket. "Don't worry, I'll make sure she's up soon," he tells Effie.

She mumbles something and huffs. I hear the clicking of her heels then the sound of the door closing. Thank God. A sigh of relief escapes my lips.

Peeta gets back under the covers and presses his chest to my back, spooning me. He presses his lips to my neck and mutters, "That was a wonderful way to wake up." I hum in agreement, too lazy to actually move my lips to formulate words. "I want to sleep more," he laughs gently.

"Don't we all," I mumble quietly.

My body shifts around so I'm facing Peeta. I bring my hand up to cup his jawline, my fingertips barely brushing back and forth along his slightly stubbly skin. As cheesy as this sounds, I just stare into his eyes for a moment, savoring this calm feeling before the craziness of the wedding and the final preparations for it.

Oh, God, the wedding is today. That thought hits me like a, well... a truck full of bricks - I guess that's the best way to say it.