Chapter 16

Chapter 16

ALL RIGHTS GO TO SUZANNE COLLINS. I OWN NOTHING.

ENDING OF LAST CHAPTER:

"Your singing is beautiful. You should do it more often," he says gently.

"Oh, psh, I'm not that good," I say as I scratch my neck and glance away awkwardly, blush creeping its way onto my cheeks.

"No, seriously, you are amazing," he says as he stands up. "You definitely need to sing more often." He cups my face in his hands and kisses me softly.

"Thanks, Peeta," I say with a little smile.

****

I don't know when the actual date/time of year her father passed away. Just.... Please pretend it's coming up soon, if y'all don't mind. Thanks! Lol >.<

****

I decide to lay down on the couch for a few minutes while Peeta gets a shower. My cheek rests on a pillow while my feet dangle off the edge. My fingers rub over the soft velvet cushion. Before I know it, I fall into a whole new world. I tumble into a blissful world different than the real one.

Or so I thought it was going to be blissful. I should've known better.

I sit up and rub my head. I squint in the sunlight as I take in my surroundings, expecting to wake up in my living room. Instead, I wake up on the hard, dirt ground. I'm instantly wide awake when I realize exactly where I am.

The place where I learned my father was dead.

I look to my right and see my mother at the front of the mob, tense as can be, waiting to hear the news of what happened. My eyes dart to the left and I see a woman I don't recognize. She's wearing a long baby blue dress, but it's full of patches. Weirdest of all, though, she's wearing a hat with feathers all over it, almost as if it came from the Capitol.

"Are you okay, dear?", she asks in a raspy tone.

"Uhm, yeah, I think so. D-do you know why I'm on the ground?", I ask hesitantly. I stand up and brush the dirt off my pants.

"You passed out and hit your head on the ground when it was announced that there was an explosion. Are you sure you're okay?"

I nod my head and give her a tight smile. "Yeah. I'm fine. Thank you." But I'm really not fine at all. I know what happened here, and I know what will ensue from it.

"Brace yourself," she whispers, "Everything's about to change." I whip my head to the side to question her, but she's gone. Vanished into thin air. I shiver a little because she was right. My life was never the same after this incident.

I stumble forward to my mom and wince when the pounding in my head intensifies. I look into her eyes for any hint of the depression that's going to come.

"Why are you looking at me like that?", she questions softly.

I stare at her in shock. Does she not know yet?

"N-nothing. Jus-just looking." I stutter and look at the mouth of the cave, the last place my dad was able to see sunlight.

Hours on end, it feels like, we wait there to hear the news. Of course, I already know, so I don't understand why I'm still waiting.

"Mom!", I yell. "Where's Prim?", I shriek. She was so little, is so little at this point in time.

"Home. I didn't want her to be here. Don't you remember me telling you that before we left?", she asks incredulously.

"She's so little! She can't be at home alone!", I yell as I sprint toward our house.

When I finally get back to our house, I sprint up the stairs to where our bedroom is. Unfortunately, I slip about halfway up and hit my head. I lay there, the throbbing in my head growing. I let out a groan as blackness overtakes my vision.

I wake up, shaking, in a cold sweat. I bring my hand to the back of my head, where my head really is throbbing. I shoot up into a sitting position when I see that I'm on the ground. I must've fell off the couch and hit my head in the coffee table while sleeping. Stiffly, I push myself off the ground and onto the couch. My head rests in my hands.

How could have I forgotten? In a couple days will be the 6 year anniversary of my father passing away. I instantly feel a wave of sadness coming over me. The next week or so is not going to be good. It never has in the past.

Peeta's footsteps bound down the stairs.

"Hi," he says as he sits down next to me with a grin. I just sigh in response.

"What's wrong?", he asks.

"6 years in a couple days. 6 years," I whisper dejectedly.

"6 years since what?", he asks quietly.

"Since my father passed away," I whisper again with my head still in my hands. I can feel the tears forming in my eyes.

"Oh. I'm sorry," Peeta tells me as he rubs my back soothingly.

"It's alright," I whisper with a tear-strained voice. "You can't do anything about it." I try to swallow the lump in my throat.

"I'm going to go to bed," I tell him placidly as I go up the stairs.

"Okay," he replies simply, sadness laced into his voice. Or pity, I don't feel like deciphering it right now.

I crawl slowly into bed and pull the covers over my head. I curl into a ball and squeeze my eyes shut. That's when I finally let the tears fall.

**************************************************************************************************************

*Sloth voice* Hey you gu-uys!

How are you? Good? Fantastic.

Here's a chapter!! I'm honestly so tired right now, it's 4:00 am where I am. You're lucky I love you guys so much. Sorry for this semi-depressing chapter.

Okay, I really want people to answer this question please: if I made an Instagram account dedicated to my many fandoms, would you guys follow it? I think that would be fun 😄

Oh yeah, I updated my bio if you guys wanna read it! Also, do you guys know of any good Everlark fanfics? I'm in need of some good ones.

Thank you so freakin much for 2.33k reads! You all rock!

Please, please vote, comment, and spread the word about my story. I love hearing your feedback and gaining more reads/votes everyday.

I really want you guys to let me know if you need to talk. Like I really want you to. Please.

Keep that beautiful/handsome smile on that even more beautiful/handsome face of yours!

Shoot straight and be brave my fellow lovelies,

Weezabeth <3