Chapter 64

ALL RIGHTS GO TO SUZANNE COLLINS. I OWN NOTHING.

ENDING OF LAST CHAPTER:

"Tell you what," he says. "There are a few more customers waiting in line, so I'll help them then come back. Close up early today." Breathing out a sigh of relief, I bid him goodbye and set the phone back down.

Looking down at my stomach, I murmur, "You sure are causing a lot of trouble already, little one. Your daddy and I love you, though. Just try not to scare me as much, okay? I'd appreciate that."

****

This baby is dangerously close to being born. Like, it could be today, close. I don't know if I've ever been more terrified in my life. And that's saying something, considering what I've been through.

I kind of want to just have the midwife live with us until the baby is born. That way, I know that someone who actually knows what they're doing is here to make sure that, first, I know when the baby is coming, and second, the baby is delivered safely. What if I think that the contractions I get when the baby is coming are just the normal pains that I've been feeling recently?

Originally, I wanted my mom to deliver the baby. Unfortunately, she can't get enough vacation time to come to 12 and wait for the baby to be born. The due date is just too unpredictable and she's too important at the hospital. Peeta doesn't want me to travel to District 4 while this far along in the pregnancy, and truth be told, I don't either.

Peeta walks into the living room, hair disheveled and dark rings around his eyes. He's been so worried about me and the baby the last couple of days that he hasn't slept much. He hasn't gone to work, either, wanting to stay here with me just in case. Sitting next to me on the couch, he slings an arm around my shoulder and I lean into him, softly rubbing my belly. He rubs my arm gently, offering some comfort.

"Have you been thinking about names yet?", he murmurs. "I have a little bit. It just hasn't hit me yet that this baby is going to need a name in a couple days."

Breathing in deeply, I respond bitterly, "I've thought about the fact that he or she will need a name, but I haven't actually thought about what the name would be. I've been too preoccupied with being in pain and terrified all the time." The downcast look on Peeta's face makes me immediately regret my words. He stands back up rather quickly, saying, "Well, you let me know when you think of some names for our kid." I try to stand up to follow his brisk pace, but I can't stand up off of this couch by myself. It's too low to the ground and my belly is too round. 

Peeta goes to the door and shrugs his jacket on, slipping on his shoes too. "Where are you going?", I call out to him.

"To the bakery. I'm going to help out this afternoon and make sure things are running smoothly."

"Oh. Before you go, will you help me up please? I don't know when you'll be back, and I can't get up myself."

He walks back over to me, scratching his temple. He wraps one arm around my back and the other grasps my hand, pulling me up off the couch. Deciding that a kiss isn't the best option right now, I squeeze his hand in gratitude.

"I'll be back later. Call me if you need anything, okay?", he asks. I almost cry. He's too nice to me.

Sending him a close-lipped smile, I reply, "I will." He turns away again. "Peeta, I'm sorry about what I said."

He stops, sighing and biting his fingernail. "I just wish that you would appreciate how good life is now, Katniss." He waits for a moment, presumably waiting for me to say something, but I don't. So he leaves, leaving a hurt atmosphere in the house.