Chapter 2

ALL RIGHTS GO TO SUZANNE COLLINS. I OWN NOTHING.

I'm in the woods following a deer. I crouch down so I'm hiding behind a bush. The wind blows, making my wavy hair flow in front of my face. I brush it away and grab an arrow. I'm about to let it go when I hear something, barely a whisper. I turn around, baffled as to who else would be in the woods.

"Katniss," it whispers. I freeze.

"Katniss," it whispers again. No, not it. Her.

I finally see her. Prim. She's wearing what she wore when she was helping the Capitol children, except it's in ruins: torn, frayed, and burnt. Tears jump into my eyes, making my vision of her blurry.

"Prim," I try to say, but my voice doesn't work.

"Prim," I say, louder this time.

"Katniss, why did you do this to me?"

What? I didn't do this to you! I think quietly to myself. I'm too dumbfounded to say it out loud.

"Why, Katniss? I loved you, I helped you, wh-," then she lets out a bloodcurdling scream. Starting from her feet going up the rest of her body, she starts catching on fire. Dying all over again. On instinct I start screaming and get up to run toward her. But it doesn't work. I keep screaming and running, but when I put one foot down, it sinks into the ground.

"Katniss! Katniss! Help! Help me!", Prim starts screaming. It literally shatters my heart to hear this.

I continue to try and run to her but to no avail. Eventually I give up and take on the same position I did in the Quell arena with the jabberjays. This goes on for hours: me screaming and Prim burning.

"Katniss, please," Prim whimpers.

I jerk awake, shaking uncontrollably. My throat is dry and sore from screaming. That was one of the worst nightmares I've had in a while.

My fingers fumble for the somewhat frayed rope sitting on the ground. Once in my frail hands, knots start to appear in the rope once again.

My name is Katniss Everdeen. I am seventeen years old. My home is District 12. I was in the Hunger Games twice. I escaped. I started a rebellion. Peeta was taken prisoner. He was hijacked. He was rescued. My sister was killed by a bomb. It might've been Gale's bomb. I'm at home, waiting for Peeta to return. I don't know what will happen when he returns.

I mutter this over and over for who knows how long. The knots don't help that much, so I try to think of things that have calmed me in the past. After a few minutes of thinking, an idea pops into my head. I sang to Prim when she had nightmares, and I sang to Rue when she was dying. I decide to try it.

"Deep in the meadow, under the willow. A bed of grass, a soft green pillow. Lay down your head, and close your sleepy eyes. And when again they open, the sun will rise.

Here it's safe, here it's warm. Here the daisies guard you from every harm. Here your dreams are sweet and tomorrow brings them true. Here is the place where I love you.

Deep in the meadow, hidden far away. A cloak of leaves, a moonbeam ray. Forget your woes and let your troubles lay. And when again it's morning, they'll wash away.

Here it's safe and here it's warm. And here the daisies guard you from every harm. And here your dreams are sweet and tomorrow brings them true. Here is the place where I love you."

It sort of worked. I gather up what's left of my strength and push myself off of the couch. I go up to my room, closing my eyes and holding my breath when I pass Prim's door. I sit on my bed, watching the sunset. I try not to think of him when I see it, but it doesn't work. I start breathing heavy, so I sing a little more.

"Deep in the meadow, under the willow. A bed of grass, a soft green pillow. Lay down your head, and close your sleepy eyes. And when again they open, the sun will rise."

I continue to the knots and look out the window for a while.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hey guys!

Thanks for reading!! It really means a lot to me! Please, please comment! That's what I want most from you guys! I want your feedback to make my story better. I would love to hear what you have to say. It would make my day! Let me know if you want to see anything else in my story. I will try to incorporate everything you guys want into this. I will try to update as often as I can, which is hopefully several times a week! Thanks again for reading!

Shoot straight and be brave,

Weezabeth <3