I Walked You Home

Song: The Best You Can't Be by Secrets

Chelsea

It was finally last period. I had vocal workshop. I was half dreading it and half looking forward to it. I still found Oliver a bit annoying, but I felt like we had connected in the hallway today. He had told me about that bastard that was picking on him and I had truly felt bad for him. I had my own bully, who was the girl I used to be friends with in elementary school, whose name was Brittany, but I found a way to avoid her for the most part. Oliver, on the other hand, had no way to avoid Chris.

I sighed as I walked into my class. I immediately realized Oliver wasn't there yet and I took a seat far away from everyone. To my surprise, Brittany was there. She gave me a nasty look as I sat down. Suddenly, I was hoping Oliver would show up soon so she would see I had made a friend even if I didn't like him too much. What she didn't know wouldn't hurt her. I watched her out of the corner of my eye as she talked to her boyfriend, James. He also seemed to get a kick out of making fun of me. 

I was just about to get out my book when Oliver walked in. He gave me a warm smile and sat down next to me. I saw Brittany look over at us with a look of pure shock when she saw Oliver sit next to me.

"Hi," he said putting his bag on the floor. "How were your classes?" he added, obviously just trying to make conversation.

"Pretty good. Ms. Hopkins doesn't seem too bad," I told him, remembering what he had said at lunch. She had actually seemed pretty nice especially when she saw me reading before class started. He just raised his eyebrows. The teacher walked in and the bell rang so he didn't have a chance to argue with me.

The teacher explained to us what we would be doing this year and about the whole class. When the bell rang, everyone jumped up and practically pounced on the door. I took my time waiting for everyone to clear out so I wouldn't have to fight to get out.

"Hey, Chelsea, do you wanna go somewhere and do the science homework together?" Oliver asked, his eyes filled with hope. Mr. Field had given a worksheet just to see what we knew, which in my case wasn't much since I hated science.

I was almost about to say no and make up some excuse like my mom need my help with dinner or something, but I was the worst liar ever. "Um... sure," I replied a bit reluctantly. I wasn't sure if I wanted to spend the rest of my afternoon with Oliver. I mean, less than I few hours I had hated his guts.

We decided to go to this diner that had really good chips. It was pretty close to the school, so I didn't mind walking. We walked in silence. I literally had no idea what to say to him and I could kind of tell the feeling was mutual.

When we arrived, we were seated at one of the tables in the back. After we ordered Cokes and our chips, Oliver pulled out his worksheet and the textbook we had been given and I did the same. It was a lot easier than either of us thought it would be. We were half way done before our food came. We ended up finishing before we were done the food.

Oliver quickly put away his worksheet and textbook and took a sip of his drink. "So, what are you doing when you get home?" he asked. For some reason, he was growing on me. I was actually enjoying this. 

"Probably eat dinner and listen to music," I replied with a shrug. I was kind of dreading dinner because my mom would most likely make me eat with her and she'd probably just tell me how terrible of a person I was. My mom hated me. A lot. 

"What kinda music do you like?" he asked, playing with his straw. Music had always been one of my favorite subjects. I loved music as much as, if not more than, I loved to read. Most people didn't get what I liked about music so much, but it got me through things.