59 // little black submarines - the black keys

Instead of telling Lydia that the fans of Road to Serenity (or at least one, so far) thought they were a couple, he told her they were supposed to go somewhere else (which totally killed the assumptions every single person there was probably making). They said goodbye to everyone (when Lydia asking him about Christine, who was constantly winking at him, Stiles said he didn't have a clue) and got into Stiles' Jeep. He had to take a moment for himself, because for the first time in nearly two hours, he could be himself without thinking he would ruin the band's reputation.

"Where are we going?" Lydia asked, once he had started the car.

"The beach."

"Why?"

He sighed, not looking at her. "Damn, Lydia, some things are meant to be a surprise."

The strawberry blonde smiled at him and for a brief moment, Stiles could see that she was confused and taken aback by his statement and he immediately regretted it. Frankly, he was running short on his nerves because he wasn't used to having to think about what he says in front of people and especially not in front of his fans and Lydia.

That was no excuse, though – he was too harsh. He was running short and that wasn't a good thing.

They spend the next ten minutes without either of them uttering a single word, with car radio music filling the heavy silence. Stiles didn't even bother switching it from the indie songs to some other station.

"Look, I'm sorry for snapping earlier." The music was gone and the machine hum as well, and his voice was the only thing keeping the silence at bay. "I've been pretty nervous about . . . this. It's new for me."

When he finally looked at her, she offered him a small smile. He'd forgotten how beautiful she looked when she smiled at him.

"It's okay," Lydia said. "I'd be the same if I was meeting my fans."

Stiles blinked rapidly and frowned at her in confusion, before realizing that somehow, there managed to be a misunderstanding – Or she just didn't think of it as much as I did. "I was talking about you."

"Oh."

"I just don't know what to do, okay?" he heard himself say. "I've been thinking about this for weeks, planning it and wanting to make it perfect, but all these things keep making their way into my plans and it feels like our time's running out and you're leaving soon and who knows when I'll get to see you again. Lydia, I don't want to lose you and I feel like that's exactly what's happening."

He didn't know where those words came from. He basically admitted his feelings for her and his only hope was that she didn't realize the meaning between the lines – especially if she didn't have anything to return it with.

This time, she didn't smile. But when she looked at him without a trace of playfulness on her face and leaned just a little bit forward, Stiles felt something was happening. She looked so lost in his eyes – just what he felt like every time he'd look into hers. Maybe, maybe things weren't as bad as he thought they were. Maybe this was their moment – their

But Lydia blinked and it all fell apart.

"Stop worrying so much," she said. "I'm not going anywhere."

"You are," he pointed out. "In two days."

"Three."

"Two. And a half."

"My plane departs at eleven pm, Stiles."

He cocked his eyebrow. "So? You still gotta get ready and wait in the line and actually get into the plane—"